The coming draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

The coming draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Super GM » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:01 am

Amazinz wrote:I don't have any first-hand knowledge, wasn't even aware of him until you posted but here is a small scouting report I found:

Name: Phillip Humber
Height/Weight: 6-4 / 210
Bats/Throws: R / R
Date of Birth: 12/21/82
School: Rice

#8 college player according to Baseball America, #11 overall. #9 college player according to Baseball America. #7 propsect in the Cape Cod League and a 2nd-team preseason All-American according to BA. Doesn't have the size of Niemann or the stuff of Townsend, but Humber is probably the most polished of the 3 talented pitchers from Rice. He has been in the weekend rotation since his freshman year, and spins the best curveball of the 3. He works in the low-90s, and exhibits outstanding poise & maturity on the mound. Didn't have as good of a year last year as Niemann & Townsend, but he started the biggest game of the year against Stanford in the College World Series. He also has the most prototypical size of the 3 with an athletic 6'4" 210 pound frame. With a good spring Humber could easily vault into the top 5 for this June's draft, and if all goes well, we could see an unprecedented 3 players from the same school going within the top 10 picks.

Sounds like the story from that movie...what was it called? Oh yeah, "Summer Catch" :-D

No, but seriously , looks like they made a decent move picking this guy.... ;-D
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:42 pm

personally i think the mets should have picked niemann(i think his ceiling is a little higher), but they did fine in getting humber(as he could become a stud as well) and i am glad the d rays got niemann ....... ;-D ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:45 pm

Humber looked (so I read) pretty good in ST. Here's to hoping his opening minor league campaign is a good one... ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to New York Mets