D.Willis to be sent to the pen? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

D.Willis to be sent to the pen?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

D.Willis to be sent to the pen?

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Thu May 27, 2004 9:18 am

CBS ..

Dontrelle Willis, SP FLA

News: There is now a possibility that Willis could be bumped to the bullpen when A.J. Burnett returns to the rotation, which might be on June 2.

Analysis: Tommy Phelps could remain a starter if he continues to pitch well, forcing Willis to a relief role. "We're not interested in guys . . . what they did last year doesn't count. Phelps is 1-0, and if he keeps pitching like hell, guys can battle for their jobs," Jack McKeon told the Miami Herald

This is not the news I was wanting to hear. I just traded for Willis last week-figured buy low- for Milton. Maybe this will light a fire under Willis and help him focus on what he needs to be doing. :-o
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu May 27, 2004 10:17 am

I traded Willis a month ago for Huff... still waiting for that to pay off. :-P
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mintie » Thu May 27, 2004 10:44 am

Well nothing is for sure, but he has looked like crap in his past outings. I guess there will be a lot of importance on his friday start to see if he can keep his job. If not, oh well, I needed to drop someone for Prior anyway =)
mintie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Thu May 27, 2004 11:37 am

Well, if Willis ends up in the pen, he will hit my waiver wire with a loud TWANG! Maybe this news will help him get his head screwed on straight again.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 27, 2004 11:41 am

Well at least he gets to pitch against the Mets friday before being sent to the pen. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

D-Railed?

Postby Ry-Guy » Thu May 27, 2004 11:45 am

I think this is Jack McKeon's way of telling Willis to harness his control and start pitching to his capabilities. Let me tell you something about Willis, MLB is promoting this guy like he's the next Bob Gibson. The entire MLB organization is using Willis as part of a major ad campaign to promote baseball in urban environments, especially with young African-Americans. There's no way this future star, expected to carry the baseball torch into the next decade, is going to be banished to the bullpen because Mr. Phelps had one lucky start. Granted, the D-Train has had a few crappy outings this season, but it's going to take a really horrendous performance to completely derail the D-Train.
Check out www.hardcorefantasybaseball.com
Ry-Guy
College Coach
College Coach

Re: D-Railed?

Postby Madison » Thu May 27, 2004 12:00 pm

Ry-Guy wrote:I think this is Jack McKeon's way of telling Willis to harness his control and start pitching to his capabilities. Let me tell you something about Willis, MLB is promoting this guy like he's the next Bob Gibson. The entire MLB organization is using Willis as part of a major ad campaign to promote baseball in urban environments, especially with young African-Americans. There's no way this future star, expected to carry the baseball torch into the next decade, is going to be banished to the bullpen because Mr. Phelps had one lucky start. Granted, the D-Train has had a few crappy outings this season, but it's going to take a really horrendous performance to completely derail the D-Train.

I was a fan of his last year. I was fortunate enough to get both The D-Train and Webb in several leagues last year. Lately, the D-Train has looked more like the little engine saying "I think I can, I think I can". :-b Hopefully, the kick in the caboose is exactly what he needs to readjust his track. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Thu May 27, 2004 12:22 pm

Madison wrote:
Ry-Guy wrote:I think this is Jack McKeon's way of telling Willis to harness his control and start pitching to his capabilities. Let me tell you something about Willis, MLB is promoting this guy like he's the next Bob Gibson. The entire MLB organization is using Willis as part of a major ad campaign to promote baseball in urban environments, especially with young African-Americans. There's no way this future star, expected to carry the baseball torch into the next decade, is going to be banished to the bullpen because Mr. Phelps had one lucky start. Granted, the D-Train has had a few crappy outings this season, but it's going to take a really horrendous performance to completely derail the D-Train.

I was a fan of his last year. I was fortunate enough to get both The D-Train and Webb in several leagues last year. Lately, the D-Train has looked more like the little engine saying "I think I can, I think I can". :-b Hopefully, the kick in the caboose is exactly what he needs to readjust his track. ;-)

Oh the puns are endless with this guys name eh? hehe In a way I'm glad Mackeon came out with this before Willis's start. If it doesnt help and he blows it vs the Mets then I'll be dropping him for Santana who was just dropped.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Thu May 27, 2004 12:30 pm

Jack-In-A-Box wrote:Oh the puns are endless with this guys name eh? hehe

Lol. :-D

The sign (railroad crossing) is right there, and blinking now (not to mention the annoying banging). If he doesn't make it up the hill, then he's off to lugging coal through the desert while someone else picks up steam. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Thu May 27, 2004 12:34 pm

Madison wrote:
Jack-In-A-Box wrote:Oh the puns are endless with this guys name eh? hehe

Lol. :-D

The sign (railroad crossing) is right there, and blinking now (not to mention the annoying banging). If he doesn't make it up the hill, then he's off to lugging coal through the desert while someone else picks up steam. :-b

lol to much :-D
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers