Rios called up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Rios called up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rios called up

Postby hybrid » Thu May 27, 2004 3:36 am

With all the injuries going down, the Jays have called up Rios. He was struggling, but recently has been on a tear in Triple A. If he does real well he could stay up. Though if not he will most likely be sent down when Cat comes back off the DL.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Thu May 27, 2004 8:54 am

Thanks for the heads-up! This may just be a cameo, but it'll be interesting to see how he fares against big-league pitching...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pilambp » Thu May 27, 2004 3:16 pm

I'm interested in seeing how he responds. This is a big year for him to prove himself as a future start.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mugwump » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:58 pm

This is the same guy everyone is comparing to Vernon?
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:09 pm

I dunno if "everyone" was comparing him to Wells, and if they did it isn't a very good comparison.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Mugwump » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:57 am

Hybrid, who would you compare him to?
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:08 pm

Well lets just look at his frame for one. He is 6'5" 194, and is 23. Much taller then Wells and he is somewhat skinny at the moment. Right now cause of his light frame he is mostly a line drive hitter that has some pop. Though most scouts seem to think once he puts on some pounds and gets stronger he could develope into a Juan Gonzalez player. It seems that Juan was also very skinny in his younger years and many see some of Juan in Rios at his young age. That's his potential though, not what type of player he is right now. If you want a good comparison of who he is right now, I would say look at a Baldelli type player. Both are quite young and have the frames to get a lot stronger. Right now they are line drive hitters that will show occasional pop, though Rocco is ahead of Rios as he does have more experience in the bigs. Rocco being 6'4" 187 and Rios is 6'5" 194 like I said before. Rios also has very good speed, not as fast as Baldelli, but very good speed. Most likely won't show it off much in Toronto as they hardly ever steal bases a lot.

So Rios and Wells really aren't close to being the same type of player. I'm guessing some people compared the two because both played CF, have good speed, and Rios looks to be really good in the future (obviously Wells obviously is already). But when you actually compare the two, they don't have much in common.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

tahnks

Postby Mugwump » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:31 pm

Hyrid, thanks for taking the time to post such a lengthy answer it is very much appreciated... This is my first season doing fantasy baseball and have only been a casual baseball watcher before this... I have to admit that I AM OBSESSED!!!

I am almost mathematically out of the money in my league, due in large part to a rash of injuries: Sexson, Chavez, Prior(before) and am starting to look toward next season and considering picking up Rios since it is a keeper league... My OF consists of Beltran, M.Cabrera, Baldelli, Gibbons and would love to "grow" another stud for my OF.

Thanks again!
Mugwump
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball