Hot finishes?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hot finishes??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hot finishes??

Postby tallmike » Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:01 pm

Moving into July soon and time to think about turnarounds on tough first halves. Who are favorites we should be prioritizing for pickup from frustrated owners? A couple of my fav's - interesting in seeing more or hearing disagreement. I'm in a 12 team AL only league so only AL guys and pretty deep in.

Jaun Gone - I think he'll want to prove something and turn it around. A bit worrisome that he missed games this week with the same thumb but supposed to be back today and he'll want to prove something in the second half.

Vernon Wells - I expect him to improve in the second half and he get's more comfortable. Jays likely to trade someone in the outfield and he'll stop looking over his shoulder.

Aubrey Huff - up and confident. only question is if Crawford comes up making the Rays do something stupid like letting Greg "that Mendoza guy sure made good contact" Vaughn share DH duties. He'll produce for the rest of the year.

Chan Ho Park - Hey it can't get much worse and you should be able to get him for a bag of balls and a fungo bat. He'll want to prove something but will likely only be middle of the road.

Victor Zambrano - will get the few saves they get in Tampa if and when Yan is traded. kind of forgotten but has pitched well since being recalled.

Tim Hudson - he's better than this and the A's playing better. Might be too late as he's warmed up and you're not likely to find a desparate owner anymore.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:38 pm

I think Chipper is another candidate to turn things around; Park seems like a lost cause this season...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nkeitt » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:17 pm

To use a Perot-ism, the giant sucking sound from my team so far has been Roberto Alomar, is he going to get better or should I play Vina and use Robbie as trade bait on a 2 or 3 for 1 for a top slugger?
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dannahann » Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:36 pm

I too think Huff and Park will produce a little and can be had for nothing. Juan Gone will come at a price though. How about that young DET SS? Can't recall his name right now (mixed league player here) :-o
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Arlo » Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:58 pm

Ramon Santiago? Interesting. If he can figure out both the strike zone and the base paths, he could be a very nice surprise indeed...

And I'd say if you have Vina and can get a true stud for Alomar plus, go ahead and make the deal.

How about Jermaine Dye as a candidate to bounce back from a disappointing first half (assuming he's healthy)?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tallmike » Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:19 pm

Jermaine Dye will have a great second half I think. Started a bit nervous with the leg but has been warming up. I've been trying to trade for him.

I'd trade Alomar too. Everyone probably thinks he'll come around and will build that into an offer. If he does, you've got a good deal back. If he doesn't - you've got a good deal back. Take it if you can get it.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby timkell » Sat Jun 29, 2002 8:39 pm

Jeff Kent, although he did not have a terrible first half, is absolutely on fire right now. I definitely see him putting up better numbers for the second half. I guess getting smacked around by Barry really got him motivated!
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers