New to Roto... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New to Roto...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New to Roto...

Postby Chuckles » Wed May 26, 2004 5:46 pm

I've been more of a points league type of guy!!! So I was wondering what some good drafting strategies were for roto leagues. Thanks all, as any help would be nice.
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 26, 2004 6:13 pm

Well for a points league I normally try to find the "chink in the armor" of the scoring system and base my rankings on that. Whereas in Roto you have to draft a balanced team so that you are competitive in every category. That's the biggest difference between the two IMO.

As far as a definitive strategy it depends a lot on how the categories are laid out. In 5x5 I normally draft one SP stud early (not 1st round) that I can start always, then the #2/#3 SP in the early middle rounds, guys I can almost always start. Then I round out the staff with 3-4 more guys in the middle to late-middle rounds, spot starters.

I load up mostly on batters early based on position scarcity except for C where I feel you can always grab good value late in the draft. I let RPs be dictated by the start of the Closer run. This is how I approach a pre-season draft. I have never drafted mid-season and imagine it's an entirely different beast.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bucsfan04 » Wed May 26, 2004 9:42 pm

Try to draft a balenced team, that means speed, power, saves, whip, etc. One strategy that I use and that seems to work well is stocking up on good SP and pitching them all when it is their turn. This way u get lots of wins, Ks, and maybe a good ERA and WHIP. Just make sure you don't use up all your allowed innings too early.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chuckles » Fri May 28, 2004 12:14 am

Cool, so after you use all the pitchers early, then what? Do you trade away for other areas? It'll be interesting, that's for sure. It should be fun though. I'll try to go off of what you said Amazinz, draft order-wise, and we'll see how it goes! I'll let you all know how my draft went so you can laugh at my horrible picks!!!!! Any more ideas would be groovy too....thanks!!! ;-D
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chuckles » Fri May 28, 2004 8:49 pm

Draft's tomorrow, any other thoughts? Thanks all!
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers