He is on fire - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

He is on fire

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

He is on fire

Postby Rude Boy » Tue May 25, 2004 8:59 pm

I have heard alot of talk about Griffey lately and none of it has been true. He is killing NL pitching 3 days 3Hr 8 RBI some of you still think he will cool down. He will continue to hit and rack up alot of RBI's in that hot cincy line up. I just hope they continue to pitch to him but I don't think so they will start walking him like Bonds..........

-one last thing FLorida intentionally walk Casey to pitch to GRiffey with two men on, you guys already know what happen.
Rude Boy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 25, 2004 9:04 pm

Yeah, dumb move by McKeon. The Reds are really hot. They steamrolled my Astros pretty hard and gave my Beckett a good reaming.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby hybrid » Tue May 25, 2004 9:22 pm

They keep intentionally walking Casey to get to Griffey, and Griffey has made them pay each time lately. Beckett pitched well, but he didn't locate his fastball on the hr to Griffey and he nailed it.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thaklanksta » Tue May 25, 2004 10:25 pm

FINALLY! had him rotting on my DL for the last two years. It's nice getting some stats from him this year. A sell high candidate?
thaklanksta
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Tue May 25, 2004 10:29 pm

I doubt Griffey is a sell high player. Even though he is hot, people will remember his last 2 years much more then what he has down this year. Everyone pretty much expects him to get hurt at some point even still, so I doubt you can get much. He will have to have a great year before some people start to somewhat like him again.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Rude Boy » Tue May 25, 2004 10:40 pm

sell high what are you guys smoking. I wish I was in the league you guys are. I got Griffey and he is staying put

-I suggest you grab him from somebody on your team before somebody else besides me starts to believe in him
Rude Boy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 25, 2004 10:42 pm

Anyone see the story on ESPN.com about Griffey staring at McKeon as he was rounding the bases because they intentionally walked Casey to get to him? Haha, I love to hear that. That tells me he is back, and he knows it. He just needs to show it to everyone else now - which is what he's doing. Here's the link, great story: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240525117
Last edited by slomo007 on Tue May 25, 2004 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby thehat » Tue May 25, 2004 10:48 pm

Good job by Griffey...but the move by McKeon was absolutely the right one. Casey is hitting .380 in case you haven't noticed and with 1B open, the decision was a no-brainer. Sometime the right move becomes the wrong move, as it did here.

As for Griffey, we'll see. One good week doesn't mean a friggin' thing. Personally, I hope he keeps it up, as the guy was one of the best players I've ever had the pleasure of watching when he was healthy. But he'll have to string together a real solid month and stay healthy in the process before I hop on the "he's back" bandwagon.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 25, 2004 10:55 pm

You're right hat, and I agree he needs to keep proving it. But you can tell by how he's acting (I've never seen Griffey cocky, and he's always been my favorite player so I've followed him closely) that he is on a mission to prove to the league he's back. I know what you're saying, but if Griffey has convinced himself he can stay healthy like it seems he has, I think he will stay that way.

I noticed during yesterday's game, a ball was hit over him in center field, and it almost looked catchable, but rather than dive like he used to do, and risk getting injured, he allowed the double and chose to stay healthy. I was amazed to see him do that, but I was also really glad to see it at the same time. I think the days of Griffey's diving catches and wall-climbing HR grabs are pretty much over...unless it's playoff time.

Like you said though, he's been the greatest player in my memory, when healthy (excluding Bonds) so I'd love to see him return to form.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Payne Dailey » Tue May 25, 2004 11:09 pm

thehat wrote:Good job by Griffey...but the move by McKeon was absolutely the right one. Casey is hitting .380 in case you haven't noticed and with 1B open, the decision was a no-brainer. Sometime the right move becomes the wrong move, as it did here.

As for Griffey, we'll see. One good week doesn't mean a friggin' thing. Personally, I hope he keeps it up, as the guy was one of the best players I've ever had the pleasure of watching when he was healthy. But he'll have to string together a real solid month and stay healthy in the process before I hop on the "he's back" bandwagon.

well said, couldn't agree more...
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers