New Team...what do you think? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

New Team...what do you think?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New Team...what do you think?

Postby mcmahojl » Tue May 25, 2004 5:04 pm

I just enetered a mid-season draft, and this is my pitching staff...what do you think?

Clement
Zambrano
Peavy
Oliver Perez
Joe Kennedy
Benitez
Chacon

I think it is very good...but the league thinks Im nuts...Clement and Zambrano will give me a good 300 k's, Peavy and Perez have been simply outstanding so far, and Benitez is the best all around closer as of today (all stats considered). Chacon will hurt my ERA and WHIP, but a save is a save if all my other guys keep those two categories in check...am I dreaming? Or does this sound logical?
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Tue May 25, 2004 5:16 pm

Peavy is a homerun machine, Perez is nothing to write home about, I wouldn't touch a pitcher in Colorado for anything, and Benitez will start blowing saves again. On the brighter side, Zambrano and Clement are pretty darn good.

All in all, I've seen worse.

-Stl
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby mcmahojl » Tue May 25, 2004 5:30 pm

I appreciate your review, but I dont think you know what you are talking about. I assume you are a Cards fan from your name, so you should know the NL Central pretty well. How can you say that Perez is nothing to write home about? He has an ERA below 3, almost 50 k's. and an awesomw WHIP. He also just threw a CG shutout in Coors last week. He is for real.
And Benitez is unlike we have seen him in a long time...he needed to get out of NYC, change of scenery. His stuff is nasty this year, I live in Miami, and have seen all of his outings, even his one blown save out of 17 chances!
Peavy, homerun king? How about only 2 this season, with an ERA of 2.01, 53 k's and a 4 and 0 record.
Now, if I gave you those stats without names attatched to them, you would probably think they were studs, right?
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 26, 2004 9:07 am

You'll have to pardon my lack of reliance on current stats. I use historical information being that history is a better indicator of the future than the present.

Perez is having a good season, but you could very well be evaluating him at a hot spot. Perez has never been a bad pitcher, but his best K season was still just a .69 K/I year, and he's right on that for this year. He actually had a higher K/I in his lesser seasons. His H/I is a little below his career average, but he is making up for that with more BB/I, which means his W"HIP is still higher than his best season (albeit lower than his historical averages). Even if he's hot right now, there is nothing to indicate that he will do anything different than he has done in the past, which is be average. Like I said, he's not a bad pitcher, he's just nothing to write home about.

Benitez has his very well-known history. You can choose to ignore it if you want. That is your choice, and that's the fun part of fantasy baseball.

As for Peavy, his HR/I rate is so far below his historical average that you know it is going to come up at some point. Again, if it doesn't, great for you! I am just pointing out what history tells us about this young man in San Diego. Of course, he's got the new Litter Box to keep his long fly balls company, so I wouldn't be surprised if his HR/I drops this year. The fact is, though, all of his key indicators are so far over career numbers that you have to expect a slow down.

You stated that you thought your team was "very good." I didn't think you should see this team as that, so I was simply offering info from the other side of the coin. Please don't throw around comments like "You don't know what you're talking about" unless you have very good reason. I could very well have opened my review of your staff with the same comment.

I hope this staff does work out well for you, and I hope that Perez and Peavy break the bonds of history and have unbelievable seasons.

Good luck!
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby mcmahojl » Wed May 26, 2004 9:21 am

Sorry man. Truce. ;-)
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Wed May 26, 2004 9:39 am

lol... Truce.

Btw, I like your sig.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team