1990 Bowman Cal Ripken Jr. #255 error card - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

1990 Bowman Cal Ripken Jr. #255 error card

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1990 Bowman Cal Ripken Jr. #255 error card

Postby BrianB1 » Tue May 25, 2004 1:48 pm

I have this card and its graded GEM MT 10 I was wondering if anyone knows what this card is worth? The card is blank on the front but the back is complete.

Thanks
Brian
BrianB1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue May 25, 2004 4:10 pm

I don't recall that one - are you sure it's an error and not a proof of some sort? Interesting card, in any case. Hopefully someone can offer a stab at its value, but as with all things gem mint, who did the grading will probably have a considerable impact on the price tag.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue May 25, 2004 4:29 pm

I remember hearing about a few error cards that were printed with no picture on the front. People started using erasers to erase the fronts of the 1990 Upper Deck cards to try and sneak a copy past someone (yes, they could be erased. I erased a card with an offcenter picture just to check the story).

Anyway, back to the topic.

I don't recall a Bowman error of that sort, but with a professional grade of GM MT 10, it could possibly be listed in the monthly Beckett. If it isn't there, the Beckett Baseball Almanac would almost definitely have it. The Almanac only hits once a year, so a concrete price wouldn't be listed, but it would give you an idea. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BrianB1 » Tue May 25, 2004 5:16 pm

Thx guys, I looked all over the net and couldnt find anything on it either. Is the "Mint Grading System" a decent company? about the eraser, the mint company would've caught on to it and not graded it a mint 10, right?

I can scan it in and show you guys the card front and back.

I guess I cant post pics here.
I'm just lost on what to do next.
:-/
Last edited by BrianB1 on Tue May 25, 2004 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianB1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Madison » Tue May 25, 2004 5:39 pm

BrianB1 wrote:Thx guys, I looked all over the net and couldnt find anything on it either. Is the "Mint Grading System" a decent company? about the eraser, the mint company would've caught on to it and not graded it a mint 10, right?

I can scan it in and show you guys the card front and back.
I'm just lost on what to do next.
:-/

Had it been fake, the grading company would have caught it. Sorry, didn't mean to imply that it wasn't, just sharing an unusual fact from the past. :-D

I've not heard of the "Mint Grading System" company. :-? The Mint Grading System itself is good, but I was unaware there was an actual company going by that name now. I should state that it's been a few years since I collected cards though. ;-)

If I was in your place, the next step I would take is to go to the biggest bookstore (name wise, like Barnes and Noble) and find a Beckett Baseball Almanac. Write down the card info and see if it's listed. Then you will have a ballpark figure of what it's worth. If it's not listed, then the next step would be to take it to a reputable dealer that could track down it's value.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BrianB1 » Tue May 25, 2004 5:40 pm

Thanks for the input, Ill see what I can find out and ill keep you guys posted.

Thanks again
Brian
BrianB1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia