SO players can walk away from contracts... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SO players can walk away from contracts...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue May 25, 2004 11:37 am

Madison wrote:Anyway, it shouldn't be surprising that the Union is fine with this deal. Mondesi went on extended leave without permission and the Pirates voided his contract. He's free to sign with anyone for any amount of money. The Union really doesn't have much of a say in the matter.

OH, c'mon, Mad.

You can't say you're OK with this. If so, this means, say Arod wanted to leave the Yankees, he could leave the team. The Yankees get mad because they don't want to be paying him (nor do the Rangers), so they waive him. (Not that this would happen, but bear with me.) He could then sign anywhere he wants.

It gives players power to essentially handcuff their teams into waiving them, allowing them to renegotiate. You signed the contract, live with it. The union says a contract is a contract when people want to cut salary, how could they just stand by and let Mondesi do this?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 25, 2004 11:40 am

Like Madison pointed out, only because PIT voided the contract. They didn't have to do that and they could have stuck it to him.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue May 25, 2004 11:41 am

But players can put their teams over a barrell.

Yes, Pitt voided it, but what really could they have done? Let him hang out down South while they paid him? He was AWOL. There should be some way to penalize this.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Tue May 25, 2004 11:48 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
Madison wrote:Anyway, it shouldn't be surprising that the Union is fine with this deal. Mondesi went on extended leave without permission and the Pirates voided his contract. He's free to sign with anyone for any amount of money. The Union really doesn't have much of a say in the matter.

OH, c'mon, Mad.

You can't say you're OK with this. If so, this means, say Arod wanted to leave the Yankees, he could leave the team. The Yankees get mad because they don't want to be paying him (nor do the Rangers), so they waive him. (Not that this would happen, but bear with me.) He could then sign anywhere he wants.

It gives players power to essentially handcuff their teams into waiving them, allowing them to renegotiate. You signed the contract, live with it. The union says a contract is a contract when people want to cut salary, how could they just stand by and let Mondesi do this?

I hear what you are saying and I understand the situation. I didn't say I agreed with it, just that it really isn't in the Union's hands.

Most people think that the team pays the salary when something like this happens, but as soon as Mondesi left the Pirates, the insurance kicked in. The Pirates would not have paid his salary, the insurance would have, so there was no harm financially to the Pirates to honor the contract. In order to keep up their appearance and to prevent setting a precedant, they decided to void his contract, which is the same thing I would have done, if I owned the team. The catch is that now he's a free agent and can sign anywhere.

Now if the Union wanted to adopt rules to prevent that kind of thing from happening, I'd be all for it because I find it ridiculous that something like this can happen. Unfortunately there isn't a current rule, so they really have no say in it right now.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue May 25, 2004 11:50 am

Madison wrote:Now if the Union wanted to adopt rules to prevent that kind of thing from happening, I'd be all for it because I find it ridiculous that something like this can happen. Unfortunately there isn't a current rule, so they really have no say in it right now.

OK, I understand that. MLB or the Union have to figure out a way to work this out. This is truly unacceptable. Perhaps if you are able-bodied and leave a contract, which is subsequently voided, you are limited to earning what you walked away from.

But, there might be some Anti-trust issues with that. And I'm no lawyer.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue May 25, 2004 1:30 pm

And don't forget that this whole thing was set off because the Pirates were not paying Mondesi's salary to him. Because of a court order in the Dominican Republic, they had been legally advised to pay the money into an interest-bearing account pending the resolution of the legal issues. So, in effect, Mondesi has been playing without pay for the first two months of the year.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 25, 2004 5:44 pm

Would insurance have kicked in if he just walked away?? I know that they do in case of injury but in this case?? It would be nice if when he walked away, Pittsburgh just suspended him without pay. That would force them to be able to do something if he came back.

The contract that I'd like to see is the 1 that he had with that guy that taught him hitting. It must have been in writing if the court ordered him to pay it. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 25, 2004 5:54 pm

I think this would be a moot point because once Mondesi fails to hold up his side of the agreement the Pirates are no longer responsible for theirs (his salary).
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue May 25, 2004 6:06 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Would insurance have kicked in if he just walked away?? I know that they do in case of injury but in this case??

I'm sure it would just fall under some sort of hardship situation. Even more so, since it was a legality issue that took him away. Then again, I don't read the player's contracts, so I can't say for certain. ;-)

Amazinz wrote:I think this would be a moot point because once Mondesi fails to hold up his side of the agreement the Pirates are no longer responsible for theirs (his salary).

What Trans was getting at is say, let's use Soriano as an example. Let's say Soriano leaves the Rangers and tells them it's because he's got a legal issue, when in all actuality it's because he doesn't like his salary. The Rangers terminate his contract so they don't have to pay him, since Soriano is in breach of contract. Then comes the Yankees, Red Sox, or any other team out there, and they offer Soriano triple his old salary to play for them. Well, since Soriano is no longer under contract, he can now sign with any team he wants for whatever amount of money he wants.

Doesn't sound too fair, does it? That's something that needs to be addressed in baseball.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue May 25, 2004 6:10 pm

Somthing else to toss out here is don't forget that Kaz Sasaki was allowed to walk away from a $9 million dollar contract and Seatlle was let off the hook for it this offseason without a single word from the Union.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers