Struggling SP with a 48/17 K:BB ratio? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Struggling SP with a 48/17 K:BB ratio?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Struggling SP with a 48/17 K:BB ratio?

Postby G-Man » Tue May 25, 2004 7:55 am

interestingly enough this is the ratio that johan santana is sporting right now. kind of hard to believe considering he is getting bombed lately (although his 1.5+ WHIP captures that a bit more accurately).

Does anyone value K:BB as carrying its weight against other measures like Opponent BA and WHIP?
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue May 25, 2004 1:33 pm

The three most important statistics for judging a pitcher's current and future performance are HR per 9 innings pitched, K per 9 innings pitched, and K/BB. Hits are heavily influenced by defense and luck, so if you see a pitcher who is doing well on these other three and mainly having high ERAs because of opponent's batting average, I'd stick with him. The defense might not change, but the luck probably will.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Re: Struggling SP with a 48/17 K:BB ratio?

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 25, 2004 1:48 pm

G-Man wrote:
Does anyone value K:BB as carrying its weight against other measures like Opponent BA and WHIP?

I would be willing to bet Zito is God doesn't. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby DarkShadow » Tue May 25, 2004 2:00 pm

Santana's also given up a lot of HRs
Help with my team please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62259
DarkShadow
College Coach
College Coach

Postby G-Man » Tue May 25, 2004 2:24 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Hits are heavily influenced by defense and luck

I agree to an extent with this statement, however even groundball pitchers are shielded by the fact that they are not impacted by errors but ARE rewarded for outstanding defensive plays. Obviously luck has something to do with it (bloopers falling in, etc) but the reason I really like this ratio is that it minimizes the "balls in play" aspect and thus hedges the impact that your team defense has (the counter to this is that, for example, an AB resulting in a K may not reflect a ball on the previous pitch that was hit fair but the line judge erroneously ruled it foul).
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Registered_Guest » Tue May 25, 2004 4:28 pm

You don't benefit much being a groundball pitcher on the Metrodome's turf. Being a groundball pitcher has more effects for someone like Zambrano with the slow grass of Wrigley. Santana's given up a bunch of HR's as well.

Santana threw far too many fastballs to the Sox over the weekend. The hits were rockets of the Sox bats (whether on the ground threw the INF or shots over the fence). I

I'd stick with Santana. He'd look much more impressive pitching the lefty-hitting heavy AL West. The Twins can't hit lefties if their life depended on it, but unfortunately he pitches for them. :~(
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 25, 2004 4:30 pm

Registered_Guest wrote:You don't benefit much being a groundball pitcher on the Metrodome's turf. Being a groundball pitcher has more effects for someone like Zambrano with the slow grass of Wrigley. Santana's given up a bunch of HR's as well.

Santana threw far too many fastballs to the Sox over the weekend. The hits were rockets of the Sox bats (whether on the ground threw the INF or shots over the fence). I

I'd stick with Santana. He'd look much more impressive pitching the lefty-hitting heavy AL West. The Twins can't hit lefties if their life depended on it, but unfortunately he pitches for them. :~(

The Metrodome has new, thicker turf this year. It's actually advantageous to ground-ballers.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby thetongueofire » Tue May 25, 2004 4:43 pm

different pitchers have different styles and tendencies... so im hoping that no ones out there comparing two completely random pitchers. O:-)

but i do agree that these K related stats are pretty telling as long as youre comparing them to a picthers past numbers and kinda factoring in what kind of opponents hes faced...
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby trac02 » Tue May 25, 2004 4:46 pm

slomo007 wrote:
The Metrodome has new, thicker turf this year. It's actually advantageous to ground-ballers.

Except that it's causing errors all over the place. I was watching Santana's last start and they were talking about how bad the turf was making the Twins fielders look this year -- gave some absurd stat about the number of errors the infield has made this year. Balls take funny hops and generally handcuff the fielders. Saw this a couple times in the Santana start.
Oliver Perez watch

3-3, 3.74 ERA, 1.15 WHIP in 10 starts

23 BB, 8 HR and 72 K in 65 IP (9.97 K/9)

2 complete games, 1 shutout
trac02
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 25, 2004 4:47 pm

Makes sense....it's a transition period. It would be a good time to make a move for Santana knowing that...by the middle of the season, they will have the turf figured out.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers