General Questions From a 1st Year GM. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

General Questions From a 1st Year GM.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

General Questions From a 1st Year GM.

Postby Smizzy » Tue May 25, 2004 4:01 am

Need some general question answered.

Im a first year Gm with lots of question and noone to ask them to.

*All my leagues say im over the Games played for a couple positions.do i leave the spot blank to make up a day?

*Should i sit a guy here and there periodically ,using match ups...or just sit them till i cath up?

* Will this effect my H2H leage differently then the roto?

*Im very active on the WW..I assume im getting a jump on my competition when i grab the hot guy...but i just throw them on my bench and UTIL once and a while...Is this fair?

Is B.roberts overrated? Am i in trouble wiht him @ 2nd?

Thanks in adavnce guys.
"Clutch does exist, I've got one in my car"--BobbyRoberto
Smizzy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DEF » Tue May 25, 2004 4:31 am

I wouldn't worry about being over in games played at this point in the year if it's only a few games. You don't want to be cycling in marginal bench players every offday for a starter and get up 15-20 or more games over the limit. But you also don't have to stay exactly on the projected pace. The thing to remember with games-played limits is that you want to get all the games you possibly can from your best players. You don't want to use up starts early in the year for a backup if that means you can't play your stud at the end of the year.

On the other hand, remember that few players actually play 162 games a year any more. Guys will be rested occasionally or get hurt and miss some time. So it is OK to throw in a backup once in a while on an offday for your starter if your backup has a favorable matchup - playing in Coors for instance, or facing a pitcher he owns or who is really struggling, etc. As you get closer to the end of the year, if you find yourself under pace for games-played you can play the mathcup game more frequently. Don't lose starts for your studs, but don't leave any games unused either.

Another hint: if your in a daily transactions league and you know ahead of time or check before the game and find out someone isn't starting, throw them on the bench. There's nothing worse than losing a full game played for one at-bat when someone who was getting a rest ends up pinch-hitting.

Head-to-head is a completely different animal. Soem head-to-head leagues have innings limits to prevent streaming starting pitchers, but most don't have games played limits. If yours doesn't, then it definitely benefits you to fill as many of your starting spots as you can each day to maximize your stats. The only exception would be late in the week if you have a slim lead in average or ERA or another category where playing a backup could hurt more than help, then you may want to bench some or all of your guys to protect your lead (assuming your safe already in the culminitive categories).

Being active on the waiver wire isn't only fair, but essential to winning. As long as you aren't just adding and dropping guys to put them on waivers so others can't grab them, then there is nothing wrong with grabbing a hot player, even if you just put them on your bench. Whether you start them or not, it's worth grabbing the best players available as insurance for an injury or trade bait to improve your club.

As for Roberts, it really depends on the size of your league. AL-only or mixed leagues with 12 or more teams he definitely has value. In smaller mixed leagues, unless there's extra MI positions to fill to reduce the available 2B, then you might want to look for an upgrade over Roberts at 2B. With the way he's struggling of late, he could lose playing time with Hairston back. His biggest value is with his steals, but he can't do that if he doesn't get on base. If you have enough depth elsewhere, it might be worth trying to package him and another player for a better 2B while he still has decent overall numbers and good value.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
"I'm telling ya, he jumped us. Gloves off, stick down, no warning. He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names. But Dave was there."

"Dave's a killer."

"Yeah, Dave's a killer."

"Dave's a mess."
DEF
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: General Questions From a 1st Year GM.

Postby matmat » Tue May 25, 2004 4:33 am

Smizzy wrote:Need some general question answered.
Im a first year Gm with lots of question and noone to ask them to.

welcom. you certainly found a good place to ask the questions.

Smizzy wrote:*All my leagues say im over the Games played for a couple positions.do i leave the spot blank to make up a day?
*Should i sit a guy here and there periodically ,using match ups...or just sit them till i cath up?

Depends on how many games over the correct pace you are. If it is one or two, don't worry about it... if we are talking 10 or more then you're having a slight problem. The key to roto is not to dilute your stats... roto is about quality, not quantity and you should cut back on starting bench players on your starters' off days and probably sit people with unfavorable match-ups until you catch back down.

Smizzy wrote:* Will this effect my H2H leage differently then the roto?

yes. h2h leagues typically don't have game limits for offensive players and so the more stats you accumulate the better you should do.

Smizzy wrote:*Im very active on the WW..I assume im getting a jump on my competition when i grab the hot guy...but i just throw them on my bench and UTIL once and a while...Is this fair?

again, it is a question of intent and you're the only one that can answer it. if you pick up these players with the thought of starting them at some point then that is fine. if you are picking them up just to keep them away from the other players and don't intend to use them then yes, what you are doing is illegal.

Smizzy wrote:Is B.roberts overrated? Am i in trouble wiht him @ 2nd?
Thanks in adavnce guys.

hard to say. he seems to be very streaky... I'd look for someone more consistent to plug in when he is on the down side of his cycle :/
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Re: General Questions From a 1st Year GM.

Postby DEF » Tue May 25, 2004 5:05 am

Smizzy wrote:uote="Smizzy"]
*Im very active on the WW..I assume im getting a jump on my competition when i grab the hot guy...but i just throw them on my bench and UTIL once and a while...Is this fair?

again, it is a question of intent and you're the only one that can answer it. if you pick up these players with the thought of starting them at some point then that is fine. if you are picking them up just to keep them away from the other players and don't intend to use them then yes, what you are doing is illegal.

[/quote]

I disagree with that. You don't have to plan on starting someone to have a legitimate reason to pick them up. You may not have a need for the player, but they could still be valuable to you as trade bait or as insurance for an injury to one of your starters. As long as you're not churning over players repeatedly just to put them on waivers so someone else can't pick them up right away, then there's no problem even if you don't plan to us them. If your top rival just lost his starting 3B for example, then I have no problem with you running out and grabbing the best avilable 3B off the wire, assuming of course you have the bench space to do so. Your rival then has to either come to you for a trade or settle for something less off the wire, either way it benefits you. Your bench spots are yours to use anyway you see fit. Sometimes grabbing a player to keep them away from another team benefits your team more than picking up a player you're more likely to use. It's a valid strategy as far as I'm concerned.
"I'm telling ya, he jumped us. Gloves off, stick down, no warning. He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names. But Dave was there."

"Dave's a killer."

"Yeah, Dave's a killer."

"Dave's a mess."
DEF
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Smizzy » Tue May 25, 2004 4:06 pm

Thanks guys.

This is a great site for information...so i thought id pick your brains.
"Clutch does exist, I've got one in my car"--BobbyRoberto
Smizzy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Chopper » Tue May 25, 2004 4:33 pm

Nicely done, DEF and matmat.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye