top draft pick prospects of the 2004 amateur draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

top draft pick prospects of the 2004 amateur draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

top draft pick prospects of the 2004 amateur draft

Postby swingaway » Tue May 25, 2004 12:15 am

heres the link http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=t ... &type=lgns
or if your 2 lazy to go there i'll just post the story ;-)

1. JERED WEAVER, RHP, Long Beach State

Weaver is 6-7 and appears to be on the fast track to the majors the same way his brother, Dodgers starter Jeff Weaver, was when he came out of college. Jered Weaver doesn't have the best arm or the nastiest stuff in the draft, but has tons of experience and outstanding command. In his first 16 games this season as a junior, Weaver was 14-0 with a 1.25 ERA. He had a 182 strikeouts and 14 walks, and opponents batted .151 against him. Last summer, pitching for Team USA, Weaver had a stretch of 45 2⁄3 consecutive scoreless innings.

ADVERTISEMENT

It would be a big surprise if the Padres passed on Weaver with the first overall pick. He'll be 22 in October and should be major league-ready before he turns 23. San Diego should be able to meet his bonus demands thanks to the revenue streams being generated by new Petco Park. Weaver isn't a lock to go No. 1, but he is the overwhelming favorite for that spot.

2. JUSTIN VERLANDER, RHP, Old Dominion

Verlander might have the best arm in the draft, but he's slightly farther from the big leagues than Weaver. Verlander, a junior, has been inconsistent this season, going 7-5 with a 3.19 ERA in 98 2⁄3 innings. More impressive are his 145 strikeouts, which give him three consecutive seasons with more than 130. Verlander could go to the Tigers at No. 2.

3. B.J. SZYMANSKI, OF, Princeton

A 6-5, 205-pound junior, Szymanski also plays wide receiver for the Tigers' football team. His baseball potential seems unlimited; he has power and can run. His 2004 numbers don't jump off the page (.378, six homers, 48 RBIs in 164 at-bats), but he did play much of the spring in the cold Northeast. Once Szymanski concentrates solely on baseball, he'll take off.

4. JEFF NIEMANN, RHP, Rice

Niemann, a 6-9, 260-pound junior, throws in the mid-90s but has missed time with a groin injury this season, which may lower his draft stock. Still, he entered the week with a 5-2 record and a 2.58 ERA. Fellow Owls pitchers Philip Humber and Wade Townsend also figure to be first-rounders, but Niemann's size gives him the edge to be the first of the three drafted.

5. STEPHEN DREW, SS, Florida State. Baseball talent runs in his family; older brothers J.D. and Tim have made the majors, and Stephen is headed there, too. Like J.D., he should advance quickly once he signs. Stephen, a junior, probably is the best all-around offensive threat in the draft, but he may slip because some see too much of J.D. in him when it comes to durability and overall approach to the game.

6. HOMER BAILEY, RHP, LaGrange (Texas) H.S.

Being the only high schooler on this list reflects positively on Bailey, especially in a draft that will emphasize collegians. Drafting high school pitchers tends to be risky business, but hard-throwing Texans such as Kerry Wood and Josh Beckett have succeeded in recent years. As for Bailey, he has a great arm, a good breaking pitch and the ability to throw strikes.

7. JOSH FIELDS, 3B, Oklahoma State

Like Szymanski, Fields is a two-sport athlete whose future is in baseball -- not football. Playing quarterback at OSU probably has stunted Fields' baseball growth, but he has all the tools to succeed. A 6-2, 210-pound junior, he has a great arm and good athletic ability. He is expected to develop home run power and is one of the best raw talents in the draft.

On a side note i glad to say i was one of the guys that got struckout fromm homer baily. This dudes stuff is for real and it also shows im not big league material :~( . Also i knew something was up when there was around 10 guys with radar guns clocking pitches.[/i]
Last edited by swingaway on Tue May 25, 2004 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 25, 2004 12:18 am

A pitcher named Homer? 8-o

I hope he makes it big, so that we can hear the same joke I just made about 1,000,000 times.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Sam Handwich » Tue May 25, 2004 3:05 am

i go to rice and the big three are for real, big jeff, wade and humber are awesome! funny story why jeff didnt go to the draft out of high school...he said he got drunk and punched out the principal at the prom and the scouts thought he might need a little maturing. :-D
There is no "I" in team but there are two "I"s in statistics - oh, there are also a few "tits" in there also.
Sam Handwich
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers