Aubrey Huff... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Aubrey Huff...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bibsybob » Wed May 26, 2004 6:38 pm

the reason im not panicing with huff is that his strikeout ratio is way down, and his strikeout to walk ratio is about even which is fine. If he was whiffin alot more i would be worried. Seems like if he isnt striking out it is jus some minor adjustment he needs to make, and when he does it will jus click. If a guy is constantly fanning like Burrell was last year then it becomes mental. The fact he is putting the ball into play is a positive.

I agree, i was watching huff during the yankees series in japan and i distinctly recall 4 or 5 balls hit right on the nose that were either robbed or hit right at someone. He was killin the ball but he jsut got unlucky. Im assuming this had an effect on huff mentally and his mechanics got screwed up. Im very confident in this guy.
bibsybob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed May 26, 2004 6:38 pm

that is what made me keep him after trading for him before the season started.

he looked like a beast against the yanks in japan...and he puts the ball in play...
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Quaker » Thu May 27, 2004 12:34 pm

i just traded mike sweeney straight up for huff in a points league. hopefully huff turns it around.

i was more scared of sweeney getting hurt than anything else.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cubies » Thu May 27, 2004 1:01 pm

I would not give up on Huff. I may put him on the bench until he gets hot. But I would definately NOT drop him. It is more of a question of when he will stark hitting as opposed to if. He is a good hitter, just in a prolonged slump.

Melvin Mora is not as good as his .380 average but hardly no one is that good. However he is for real and could hit .330 this year with 25-30 HR-100RBI-15-20SB.

I dont get while people still think he is a fluke. Look at his first half numbers last year before the break. He got hurt right after the all-star break and played through pain for 20 games so his average really dipped.
Cubies
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BoSox4life » Thu May 27, 2004 1:03 pm

RynMan wrote:the reason im not panicing with huff is that his strikeout ratio is way down, and his strikeout to walk ratio is about even which is fine. If he was whiffin alot more i would be worried. Seems like if he isnt striking out it is jus some minor adjustment he needs to make, and when he does it will jus click. If a guy is constantly fanning like Burrell was last year then it becomes mental. The fact he is putting the ball into play is a positive.

Great point ;-D
All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived."
--Ted Williams
BoSox4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MrTwo94 » Thu May 27, 2004 1:32 pm

Cubies wrote:Melvin Mora is not as good as his .380 average but hardly no one is that good. However he is for real and could hit .330 this year with 25-30 HR-100RBI-15-20SB.

I dont get while people still think he is a fluke. Look at his first half numbers last year before the break. He got hurt right after the all-star break and played through pain for 20 games so his average really dipped.

Was the title of this thread Huff or Mora?

Anyways, just for the hell of it I'll tell you why people think he's a fluke: his 2001 & 2002 seasons. When he finishes a season with 500 AB's and a .300 avg he will no longer be a fluke until then...

On the topic, I'll comment that Huff is definitely in my lineup. I wish I hadn't drafted him in all my leagues so I could buy low on him now.... :-/
MrTwo94
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pibb55 » Thu May 27, 2004 1:32 pm

I would not give up on Huff. I may put him on the bench until he gets hot. But I would definately NOT drop him. It is more of a question of when he will stark hitting as opposed to if. He is a good hitter, just in a prolonged slump.

Id start him now, hes hitting .301 his last 16 games, 1 hr, 11 rbis, 9 runs, 4 runs in the last 4 games...Id say hes come around and the power will show up shortly
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

MR TWO94-READ

Postby Cubies » Thu May 27, 2004 2:01 pm

Before you go calling me out. Try and read the original post.

He's starting to look a little better, but he still worries me...

Any predictions for him? Who do you think will be better the rest of the year...Huff or Melvin Mora?

How can you not recognize this kids talent (MORA) and potential in what he has done in the first half of the season last year before he got hurt and what he has done this year? He has turned the corner and he will be a very good hitter for years to come. I guess it took you till the end of last year to admit that Javy Lopez turned his career around too. Or maybe you are still questioning that.
Cubies
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Chuckles » Thu May 27, 2004 2:52 pm

I think Geek's being a bit too harsh with Huff here, as I too believe he will turn it around. I don't mind that kind of opinion though, as it was that kind of opinion that allowed a manager in my league to drop him. I picked him up as an FA, and I agree, he's not FA material. It'll be all good within the next couple weeks (in my opinion).
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pilambp » Mon May 31, 2004 10:55 pm

Geek wrote:Huff is this year's Pat Burrell. This is more than a slow start--it's a guy who's lost his confidence and focus at the plate. Time to sell while people still hold out hope that he'll snap out of it. He won't.

You won't get value equal to where you drafted him, but you're not going to get that if you keep him either.

Ditch the bum.

And there's no way I'd give away any productive major league hitter for him, including Melvin Mora.

This was an interesting speculation at the time, although it wasn't backed up at all with any information. Since this post, Aubrey has reeled off a 9 game hitting streak (and counting), along with 3 HRs and 8 RBIs. His average is now a respectable .263. I'm still curious as to why he was compared to Pat Burrell.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers