Aubrey Huff... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Aubrey Huff...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Geek » Tue May 25, 2004 1:19 pm

He has five extra-base hits in May. 5. One home run in May. 1.

He has 2 rbi's in his last 7 games.

Still wretched.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DEF » Wed May 26, 2004 7:26 am

Geek wrote:
pilambp wrote:
Geek wrote:Huff is this year's Pat Burrell. This is more than a slow start--it's a guy who's lost his confidence and focus at the plate. Time to sell while people still hold out hope that he'll snap out of it. He won't.

Do you have any kind of information to back this up, or is this just speculation?

Everything in fantasy baseball is speculation. But, he has not hit while the other guys have started to hit better.

But, here are Burrell's numbers through May of last year:

AB: 188
Hits: 39
Runs: 28
RBI: 25
BB:30
K: 62
BA: .207
OBP: .317
SLG: .441
OPS: .758

Ugly, to be sure. BUT, they are much better than Huff's numbers this year.

Bottom line: You shouldn't trust young hitters with poor plate discipline. People waited for Richard Hidalgo to get better. It took him two years to figure out how to hit major league pitching once they found the hole in his swing. Huff doesn't know how to work a count yet, and it's showing.

May's not over yet, but here's Huff stats through May 25:
AB: 161
Hits: 37
Runs: 19
RBI: 20
BB: 14
K: 19
Ave.: .230
OBP: .292
Slug: .348
OPS: .640

Certainly not what was expected of Huff, but exactly how do you look at that and claim Burrell's numbers last year were "much better" than Huff's this year. Huff is hitting 23 points higher and has just two less hits in 27 fewer at-bats. He has nine less runs and five less RBI, but again it's in fewer at-bats and those stats are largely team dependant, and there's no real way to argue that last year's Philly lineup isn't far superior to this year's Tampa Bay lineup. Huff has walked less, but he also struck out 43 less times (that's less than a third of the Ks Burrell had at this point last year). Burrell had better slugging and OPS numbers, but overall, I don't think anyone can rationally look at the two sets of stats and claim Burrell was doing "much better" than Huff.

Huff has also definitely started to come around, raising his average 32 points in May with 11 RBI so far this month. The power is still in hibernation, but he's starting to make good contact and the extra-base hits should come. He might still end up being this year's biggest bust, but I think it's foolish to write him off before we even reach Memorial Day.
"I'm telling ya, he jumped us. Gloves off, stick down, no warning. He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names. But Dave was there."

"Dave's a killer."

"Yeah, Dave's a killer."

"Dave's a mess."
DEF
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jester » Wed May 26, 2004 10:54 am

Today's a good day...got both Huff and Burnett off the wire. I don't care how bad he is doing, he is not free agent material. The guy who dropped him says he works for Rotoworld too!!!
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: re

Postby Mordraken » Wed May 26, 2004 11:14 am

aardvarks wrote:Huff will be fine by the end of the season he'll be 300 30 100. Don't worry just a slow start.

To do that, he would have to AVERAGE:

10 hits (.322 average - 50% more hits than he's currently getting), 2 home runs, 5 RBIS PER WEEK for the rest of the year. He has barely done that over a 20 games stretch, let alone over a 7 game span. He would basically have to tripple his current production.

I think that is unlikely.

A more realistic number, assuming he comes out of his slump, would be

.280 average
20 home runs
95 RBIs.

That's IF he gets out of his slump. Not bad numbers for a 3rd baseman, but I think you could get better numbers for an OF/1B.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Geek » Wed May 26, 2004 2:30 pm

DEF wrote:
Geek wrote:
pilambp wrote:
Geek wrote:Huff is this year's Pat Burrell. This is more than a slow start--it's a guy who's lost his confidence and focus at the plate. Time to sell while people still hold out hope that he'll snap out of it. He won't.

Do you have any kind of information to back this up, or is this just speculation?

Everything in fantasy baseball is speculation. But, he has not hit while the other guys have started to hit better.

But, here are Burrell's numbers through May of last year:

AB: 188
Hits: 39
Runs: 28
RBI: 25
BB:30
K: 62
BA: .207
OBP: .317
SLG: .441
OPS: .758

Ugly, to be sure. BUT, they are much better than Huff's numbers this year.

Bottom line: You shouldn't trust young hitters with poor plate discipline. People waited for Richard Hidalgo to get better. It took him two years to figure out how to hit major league pitching once they found the hole in his swing. Huff doesn't know how to work a count yet, and it's showing.

May's not over yet, but here's Huff stats through May 25:
AB: 161
Hits: 37
Runs: 19
RBI: 20
BB: 14
K: 19
Ave.: .230
OBP: .292
Slug: .348
OPS: .640

Certainly not what was expected of Huff, but exactly how do you look at that and claim Burrell's numbers last year were "much better" than Huff's this year. Huff is hitting 23 points higher and has just two less hits in 27 fewer at-bats. He has nine less runs and five less RBI, but again it's in fewer at-bats and those stats are largely team dependant, and there's no real way to argue that last year's Philly lineup isn't far superior to this year's Tampa Bay lineup. Huff has walked less, but he also struck out 43 less times (that's less than a third of the Ks Burrell had at this point last year). Burrell had better slugging and OPS numbers, but overall, I don't think anyone can rationally look at the two sets of stats and claim Burrell was doing "much better" than Huff.

Huff has also definitely started to come around, raising his average 32 points in May with 11 RBI so far this month. The power is still in hibernation, but he's starting to make good contact and the extra-base hits should come. He might still end up being this year's biggest bust, but I think it's foolish to write him off before we even reach Memorial Day.

Burrell had some awful looking numbers, but at least he produced. Even if they're about the same (I don't count K's as a negative--an out is an out), that's pretty horrible company to keep (in terms of numbers--Burrell is showing that he's still a great talent).

11 RBI's for a month is still terrible.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Wed May 26, 2004 4:17 pm

A) I don't think its coincidence that TB and NY both slumped as a team after that initial series. I don't know if it was from starting year too early, jet lag, bad saki or what but it seems like everyone on both teams came out slow.

B) Huff was really really sick at the beginning of the year. So much so they said you could physically see he had lost weight.

I think those are the causes of Huff's slump more than anything. He's hitting .240 in May, not all that bad but he has no power. Neither does Carlos Lee, Derreck Lee, Geoff Jenkins, Vernon Wells to name a few. Power hitters sometimes just don't have their power for the first part of their season.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby justinA » Wed May 26, 2004 4:17 pm

he'll turn it around.. he's 8 for his last 21 which isnt necessarily a hot streak, but a good sign, and even with his crap hitting, he still has found a way to get 20 RBI which isnt much, but its something. RIght now hes on pace for 74 RBI.. so even if he slightly increases his productivity, he'll be up around 90 or 95. Just about the same with runs. (the projections are done over 600 AB's at his current pace)
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed May 26, 2004 5:56 pm

huff's average is sitting at .230

huff is hitting .278 vs lefties

huff is hitting .206 vs righties

last season huff hit .318 vs lefties

last season huff hit .308 vs righties

for the last 7 days huff is hitting .360 slugging .480

i will be starting him against lefties for the next couple of weeks....

;-D

forgot to add that he has a 3 game hitting streak going....

:-D
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 14)

Postby thehat » Wed May 26, 2004 6:33 pm

Huff is fine. He started the season off more unlucky than anything else. Just about everything he hit hard was right at someone. That led to an overall slump, where he just seemed to get his mechanics messed up, but he seems fine now.

As it is, his hit rate is not bad at all. A 14/19 BB/K ratio in 161 AB is certainly no problem.

I'd expect his power numbers to begin rising and his average is already beginning to climb.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby RynMan » Wed May 26, 2004 6:34 pm

the reason im not panicing with huff is that his strikeout ratio is way down, and his strikeout to walk ratio is about even which is fine. If he was whiffin alot more i would be worried. Seems like if he isnt striking out it is jus some minor adjustment he needs to make, and when he does it will jus click. If a guy is constantly fanning like Burrell was last year then it becomes mental. The fact he is putting the ball into play is a positive.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers