Who will be called up first- Haren or Tsao? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who will be called up first- Haren or Tsao?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who will be called up first- Haren or Tsao?

Postby JamesBond007 » Mon May 24, 2004 7:52 pm

Which one would you rather have? im leaning towards Haren since he wont pitch in Coors
-----J
JamesBond007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BlueBallz » Mon May 24, 2004 9:07 pm

WOW...thanks for this post...I just looked up Haren's numbers and he appears to be a major stud ....He has 61 K's and 14 walks in 46 innings pitched---------WOW!!!!! I'm gonna follow him very close
Confucious say...He who go to bed with itchy butt, wake up with stinky finger!
BlueBallz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Nipples » Mon May 24, 2004 9:08 pm

May I ask who Haren is?
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BlueBallz » Mon May 24, 2004 9:10 pm

He pitches in AAA for the St Louis Cardinals!!!! Maybe another Mark Prior????
BlueBallz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bibsybob » Mon May 24, 2004 9:10 pm

they called him up last year and he had no control and looked like crap. Maybe hes gotten better
bibsybob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BlueBallz » Mon May 24, 2004 9:12 pm

He is a young guy....Sometimes they finally figure it out like a lightbulb goes off in their heads....Drese and Penny good examples
BlueBallz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon May 24, 2004 9:13 pm

cardinals pitching prospect (yeah the cards actually have a couple prospects). i will see if i can dig up a scouting report but here is what i remember. walt jocketty views him as a future ace and deemed him untradeable (along with wainwright). most scouts arent that optimistic and project him as a middle of the rotation kind of guy. he doesnt really have any outstanding pitches but he has good command of four pitches and good mechanics. he started out the year pretty hot but has slowed down some. i didnt really think he was that much of a strike out pitcher so i wouldnt look for him to keep up that rate in the bigs. also, unless there is an injury he doesnt figure to get the call up to the bigs until september.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon May 24, 2004 9:15 pm

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/fe ... top03.html
Cardinals Top 10 Prospects
By Will Lingo
February 10, 2003

Want More?

Does 10 prospects per team only whet your appetite? How does 30 sound? If you want the more of in-depth information you're finding here on three times as many players, Baseball America's 2003 Prospect Handbook is for you.

1. Dan Haren, rhp

Age: 22. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-5. Wt.: 220. Drafted: Pepperdine, 2001 (2nd round). Signed by: Steve Gossett.

Background: Haren came out of Pepperdine in 2001 with teammate Noah Lowry, a lefthander who was drafted ahead of him but endured a season of shoulder problems in 2002. Haren, meanwhile, led the minor leagues in innings and jumped up the Cardinals’ prospect list. He was West Coast Conference player of the year his junior season at Pepperdine, where he also was a DH. Haren showed flashes in his first professional summer but wore down, losing 15-20 pounds in the process. There was no such problem last season. Haren was a workhorse and opened as the ace of the staff at Peoria, which featured many of the organization’s most promising prospects and won the Midwest League title. But he quickly earned a promotion to high Class A Potomac, where he held his own for a mediocre team.

Strengths: Haren’s biggest strength is that he has no glaring weakness. At 6-foot-4 he has the frame of a workhorse and clean mechanics. He has three solid pitches and can command them all, and his big body allows him to generate a good downward plane on his pitches. His fastball is 88-92 mph, with a lot of 90s and 91s, and he can touch the mid-90s. He got better tilt on his slider last season and used his changeup more. He throws a splitter that was one of his better pitches in college, but the Cardinals asked him to keep it in his back pocket for now. If he brings it back, it would be another weapon. Haren works quickly and pitches inside, going after hitters. He also has a little bit of funk in his delivery, which creates deception.

Weaknesses: Haren tired at the end of the season, understandable under a 194-inning workload. The organization says its goal is to protect arms while getting pitchers to the big leagues, and Haren’s frame and mechanics allowed him to pile up more innings than another pitcher might. Given the organization’s injury history, his health will bear watching. Otherwise, he just needs experience against more advanced hitters.

The Future: He still projects as a middle-of-the-rotation starter, but it looks like Haren will reach that goal more quickly than expected. He’ll open in Double-A and move up if he pitches well.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby BigLebowski » Mon May 24, 2004 9:16 pm

I'd only rank him as a back end of the rotation type of pitcher. He is pitching well in the minors but that doesn't always translate. He had OK stuff when I've seen him pitch, so I wouldn't get too wrapped up in him and start thinkin Prior. You'll be let down if you do.

I'd say Tsao gets called up first, cause the Rockies pitchers aren't very good. I'd actually take Tsao if I had to choose between the two to pick up right now.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby BlueBallz » Mon May 24, 2004 9:17 pm

I'm watching this guy...They can only go with woody williams so long
BlueBallz
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers