Yahoo H2H, what's the optimal batter/pitcher mix? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo H2H, what's the optimal batter/pitcher mix?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo H2H, what's the optimal batter/pitcher mix?

Postby ike301 » Mon May 24, 2004 5:40 pm

So i Know there are a lot of different variations of the team makeup, other than the obvious positions (INF, OF, SP, P, RP).

But what is the success formula to maximize your gains? I've heard up to 5 RPs of those should be RPs and setup guys.

That's the obvious one. I mean, should i have more bench batters or bench pitchers? how many RPs all time and how many SPs? how many batters?

I guess there's no 'right' answer, as the team strategy ultimately boils down to how well you drafted and who you have.

But as for me, i have 9 active batters slotted, 3 bench batters, 6 SP, 4 RP or those 7 actively slotted (4 RPs always on).

You? I need the winning configuration!
Post your link, I will answer yours to the best of my knowledge.

"I know what I speak, and I speak what I know."
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby G-Man » Mon May 24, 2004 6:00 pm

I have always been successful and comfortable with 1 bench hitter and the rest pitching (always rostering 3 closers/closers in waiting at least).
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trazcon » Mon May 24, 2004 6:04 pm

I think 3 bench hitters is a little much, I try to have one or two. It's hard to switch in three bench players in a given week (unless of course you didn't draft well). Right now I got four closers and 7 SP. 1 bench player right now. Just regained first place, so everything's good...
"I think they out to get me, helpless was livin' sinful. If you was me all this pain I'm feelin would been done killed you"-- Nas
Trazcon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ike301 » Mon May 24, 2004 6:06 pm

oh, and forgot to add, please post your current rank in your league. i guess facts talk best, eh?

i'm 6th with DLs including Giambi, Nomar and Wells.
Last edited by ike301 on Mon May 24, 2004 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post your link, I will answer yours to the best of my knowledge.

"I know what I speak, and I speak what I know."
ike301
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Puban666 » Mon May 24, 2004 6:10 pm

I have 15 batters with 1 bench spot, 6 SP's, 4 RP's...

Im currently second in my league....
Puban666
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 24, 2004 6:12 pm

I'm in 1st in my private H2H league. We're using the default Yahoo rosters, 21 with a DH. I normally carry 10B/11P. Of the 11 pitchers it usually around 6SP/5RP.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Top Dog » Mon May 24, 2004 6:52 pm

It depends on your league rules and scoring.. If you have NO INNINGS MAX. With typical 5x5 scoring.. w, saves, era, whip, ks... LOAD UP ON THE STARTERS. 1 bench hitter. If you have more catagories such as ER, Winning %, walks, etc. that would hurt you in the event you throw too many pitchers.. Well.. then go with more hitters.

3 private H2H leagues.
2nd in one
3rd in another
7th in another :-P
Top Dog
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Nemo » Mon May 24, 2004 9:11 pm

This is my first year doing H2H and I'm winning the league by 15 games with a .671 winning percentage.

We have 5 total bench spots. I've got 2 bench hitters and 3 bench pitchers. 2 SP, 2 RP and 3 P spots. I have 5 SPs, 4 closers and 1 MR (we count holds). I generally am able to keep all the relievers in all the time and rotate the starters through the SP spots. I've found that with my one MR (Otsuka) I usually win holds, sometimes with only 1 since is such an inconsistent category. When I have 3 starters going on the same day, I'll bench the reliever that pitched the day before, or two days in a row if a couple have pitched the day before. Just trying to guess who won't get in. Tomorrow is a bit of an anomoly that I have 4 starters going, hopefully that doesn't happen often!

I have two bench hitters because my DL spots (2) are full and my 1Bs are Sweeney and Sexon. The way both of them get hurt, it's like having one! I also have two 2Bs because Vidro hasn't been good, but he's too good to drop.

If I had a solid lineup of consistent hitters, I'd have no bench hitters and have more low ERA/WHIP guys. But it hasn't worked out that way for me . . .yet.
Nemo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jpbusta » Mon May 24, 2004 9:18 pm

I just did an autodraft yesterday for the first time playing H2H. My team came out to be great in batting but weak in pitching. Somehow, I got Beltran, Manny, and Maggs. Should I trade some of my hitters for pitching? I don't know anything about H2H because I've only played roto before. This is 12 team yahoo H2H 5x5.

Here's my lineup:

C: Varitek
1b: Bagwell
2b: Boone
3b: Mueller
ss: Renteria
OF: Beltran
OF: Manny
OF: Mags
UT: A.Jones
BN: Payton
BN: T.Martinez

SP - Loaiza, Miller, Wolf, Maddux, Odalis, Lily, Alvarez
RP - Hawkins, Baez
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amatter32 » Mon May 24, 2004 9:27 pm

14 team league, 25 players max.
Starting 8 players and 2 Util. players, 4 SP 2 RP and 2 P.

That makes a lot of pitching right away. I have 5 bench hitters and 2 bench pitchers. I only have on closer, the rest (9) are SP.

I am 4th currently 4.5 games out. Lowest I've been all season. I get 80+ IP each week.

I go for a well wounded hitting team, to get several hitting categories. Then I use a lot of SPs to get most pitching categories, I rarely win saves or losses but win the other 5.

I won my league last year using this strategy, by the way.
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers