nice offer, but... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

nice offer, but...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

nice offer, but...

Postby sveto » Wed Jun 19, 2002 7:14 pm

I've been offered V.Guerrero and T.Glaus for C.Schilling. In other situation I would accept that immediately, but in this league I think I will miss Schilling more than I need those 2 great batters. I have Hillenbrand at 3B; Bonds, Abreu, Drew, Pujols, Winn at OF (there are 5 OF spots); T.Batista, Sexson at 2 UTIL spots and these are my SP: Schilling, Clemens, Vazquez, Burkett, R.Lopez. Currently I'm 2nd overall (10 teams league), by categories:
4. in BA
1. in HR
5. in RBI
9. in SB
1. in ERA
1. in WHIP
1. in Saves
10. in Wins

Am I wrong - should I trade Schilling?
sveto

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:02 pm

That's a tough one. How big is your lead in the pitching categories you're ahead in?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sveto » Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:39 pm

here it is:

ERA
me 3.217
2. 3.467
3. 3.506
4. 3.584
5. 3.620*

WHIP
me 1.182
2. 1.186
3. 1.199
4. 1.217
5. 1.223*

WINS
6. 37
7. 36
8. 35
9. 34
me 32

* - current overall leader

Guy who made that offer is first in wins(!?), and 8th in both ERA and WHIP.
sveto

Postby EugeneStyles » Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:51 pm

Wow... that's a nice one. Personally, I'd take it, just because it's not too difficult to pick up the hot young pitcher of the moment and ride him for a while. If Simontacchi is still available, he could make a decent replacement. He's obviously no Curt Shilling, but Big Bad Vlad is a monster in any roto league.

But trust your instincts.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby timkell » Wed Jun 19, 2002 9:09 pm

Well, if you do this, you'll be overloaded with talent, so you can trade away the weaker guys. Keep Glaus. Trade Hillenbrand. Keep Vlad. Trade Drew or Abreu. You should be able to replace Schilling with someone whose pretty good in his own right. Maybe more work, but your team could be much better after it all pans out!

Think of it this way. You're already 10th in Wins. You can't go any lower. Losing Schilling's wins will not hurt you. His K's, WHIP and ERA could hurt, so be sure to trade those other players ASAP for a pitching upgrade!

It is Schilling, though, so I understand any hesitation. If the guy offering the trade is in first, don't do it until you figure out why he may be offering this!

Good luck!
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sveto » Sat Jun 22, 2002 11:40 am

Incredible stuff. The guy has cancelled that offer, but I just received another one from him - the strangest offer I ever receive: he wants to give me Vlad, Glaus & R.Hernandez for Kim & Mesa?!? Those two are good RPs, that guy is eighth in saves, but ... Is there anyone who wouldn't vote against that trade?
I also have Isringhausen and Nunez, and over 20 saves more than guy in second place in this category.
I'm thinking of making counter offer, removing Glaus from that one, maybe that looks less uneven. What would you do? If that trade goes thru, I should have to drop one of the batters - should I drop Drew, Hillenbrand, Winn or someone else?

Guys, thanks for help and good luck!
sveto

Postby Arlo » Sat Jun 22, 2002 11:58 am

Wow - that's quite something... I actually wouldn't vote against it since it's not collusive, but I'd be shaking my head for a while. And like you, I wouldn't accept it in this form; aside from antagonizing your league, it's simply not right to take advantage of someone like this. Good call! ;-D

I also agree that you can still reach a deal here - one that helps you without ripping off the other team. Removing Vlad from the deal would be an option, but if you'd rather remove Glaus, try adding either Winn or Drew (perhaps letting the other team choose) to your side of the bargain. You'd still come out ahead, but it's not outrageous any more, and hopefully the other side can in fact gain points in the saves category.

Do you know the other owner personally?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sveto » Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:08 pm

Thanks!
I don't know him.
sveto

Return to Baseball Leftovers