Is this guys strategy fair!??! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is this guys strategy fair!??!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Moovee Dood » Mon May 24, 2004 12:30 pm

I have used his strategy on CBS to a lesser degree. Every week I have one or two players I can churn over for better talent or often..a 2 start pitcher. My results have been pretty mixed with this and I have also dropped a few pitchers that I probably should have held on to. I think it's fair, but risky. I would also think it fair to stick it to the guy by picking up and dropping as many 2 start/top scoring pitchers as you can every week. If he wants to manuveur within the confines of the rules, you can too.
Moovee Dood
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AKhomebrewer » Mon May 24, 2004 1:32 pm

This is a high-risk strategy that's just as likely to come back and bite him on the behind. I actually did something like this years ago as a fantasy neophyte, when I ignorantly studded up my offense while neglecting the rotation. After falling to 14th in a 16-team league, I began rotating 2-3 pitching spots per week to take advantage of favorable matchups. It allowed me to crawl into the playoffs, where I was promptly smacked down for lack of a decent pitching staff.
If you hang in, perhaps his dogma will be run over by a karma.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Mon May 24, 2004 1:47 pm

PacBellParker wrote:In my HTH league, we had the same problem. It was so common that we actually had a name for the strategy -- the "human wave" theory. We corrected it this year by imposing a 15 point penalty for each start after the tenth for the week (7 starters on the roster). 15 points was determined to be slightly better than what an average pitcher would score in any given start. This way, you could start up to 3 pitchers who had two starts that week with no penalty. If you happened to have 4 or more studs with two-start weeks, you could start them anyway because you figure that they'll score enough to outweigh the penalty. But you won't want to start 7 two-start scrubs because you will get hammered by the penalty.

Just one league's solution.

Interesting way to stop the "quantity over quality" tactic. ;-D

I'm guessing that it's working well? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon May 24, 2004 2:18 pm

Madison wrote:
PacBellParker wrote:In my HTH league, we had the same problem. It was so common that we actually had a name for the strategy -- the "human wave" theory. We corrected it this year by imposing a 15 point penalty for each start after the tenth for the week (7 starters on the roster). 15 points was determined to be slightly better than what an average pitcher would score in any given start. This way, you could start up to 3 pitchers who had two starts that week with no penalty. If you happened to have 4 or more studs with two-start weeks, you could start them anyway because you figure that they'll score enough to outweigh the penalty. But you won't want to start 7 two-start scrubs because you will get hammered by the penalty.

Wow, that is very interesting, and I like it. ;-D
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby sinicalypse » Mon May 24, 2004 5:40 pm

Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:just beat him to it... go through and pick up the two starts then drop them (one at a time) that way they'll all be on waivers and he won't be able to get them in time. fight dirty.

i second this. fight fire with fire. wewt.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby matmat » Mon May 24, 2004 6:02 pm

sinicalypse wrote:
Captain Jack Sparrow wrote:just beat him to it... go through and pick up the two starts then drop them (one at a time) that way they'll all be on waivers and he won't be able to get them in time. fight dirty.

i second this. fight fire with fire. wewt.

as stated above, this tactic actually is specifically forbidden.

btw, I don't like the -15 points for all starts over 10... what if your drafted pitchers actually go over 10 starts?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Mon May 24, 2004 7:31 pm

A guy in our CBS H2H league this year decided to try that as well. He's 2-5. He's been hit with some big injuries though. Helton,Anderson, Nomar and a few others. I think the guys strat is fair. I dont think you should be pissed off about it because he thought of it and you or anyone else in your league didnt and its working for him. Personally I like them starting the likes of Chan Ho Park and the Gil Meche's of the FA's. I had 3 closers and 4 starters one went twice and I beat this guy by 180 points. If it's not against the rules, all's fair in love and fantasy baseball. If he strat had backfired on him you wouldnt be pissed would you?
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby B.O.S. Owner » Mon May 24, 2004 10:18 pm

The Champion of our provate league employed that strategy for two years and it sucks. The nbest way to combat it is to change the rules, limiting add/drops, before next season. For now, you may need to consider a similar strategy, especially when playing him.
"Winning isn't everything....IT IS THE ONLY THING!"
B.O.S. Owner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PacBellParker » Tue May 25, 2004 12:30 am

Madison wrote:

Yes, it is working well. We had about four guys last year who had adopted the human wave theory for starting pitching. Now nobody uses it, and there have only been two times all year when we've had to assess the penalty (an both times the penalty was just for one too many starts). It is just pretty uncommon to have four or more stud pitchers doubling up in a single week. And nobody is rotating in a whole new staff each week to get 14 starts out of their lineup.

A side effect was that good pitchers actually became more valuable on draft day, because you couldn't rely on getting a bunch of scrubs to rack up two starts per week. Suddenly, everyone needed pitchers who could make a quality start each time out (with only the occasional double dip).
PacBellParker
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Moovee Dood » Mon May 31, 2004 6:55 pm

Ok... I'm playing a guy employing this strategy this week. He has already dropped 3 of his pitchers who started today and picked up 3 more that are starting 2 games next week.

Where is the best site to go to to figure out who is starting 2 games next week?

Thanks for your helping me stick it to this loser!
Moovee Dood
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers