Presidential Election of F.B.C. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Presidential Election of F.B.C.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:21 am

Yep, I did some checking and there is no "official" language for America. :-/ I figured it was just one of those "unwritten" things that I'd just have to dig deep enough to find the document supporting it, but alas, no such document exists........yet ;-) .

Arlo wrote:Since you mentioned respecting the wishes of those who originally created the government, Jefferson made Latin and Greek a part of the curriculum in the grammar schools he set up, and was pretty vehement on this subject. (Not that Jefferson was always right about everything, of course )

Great, I was unaware of that !+) . Thanks a lot for that info. !+) Lol. :-b

Ah well, I know I'm in the minority, but I just feel like the time could be much better served teaching something more productive. I do agree that learning another language does help to teach children different ways of thinking, using logic, expanding their minds, etc., but I also believe the same thing can be accomplished while teaching the kids something that the majority will actually use in real life.

Still been an interesting discussion though. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:21 am

Correct me if I'm wrong because my son is grown but don't most small children of immigrants learn the language often times better than their parents native tongue?

I was talking to a serviceman recently who had a couple children in Germany and when they moved stateside they had to get them an english tutor.

When I lived in Cleveland Ohio which is very ethnically diverse, many of my friends grandparents spoke broken english at best.

What I am more concerned about than language is immigrants arriving illegally and becoming a tax burden on American citizens. I don't have a problem with immigrants, I do have a problem with illegal immigrants.
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:44 am

wkelly91 wrote:What I am more concerned about than language is immigrants arriving illegally and becoming a tax burden on American citizens. I don't have a problem with immigrants, I do have a problem with illegal immigrants.

good point.

As for learning a 2nd language, I completely agree with Arlo. The earlier the better - trying to teach a 2nd language to college age students - now thats a waste of time.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk