Need trade help. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need trade help.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need trade help.

Postby Mitch22 » Wed Jun 19, 2002 12:45 pm

Hey guys. I'm new at Fantasy Baseball (this is my first year) and I've been offered a huge trade. The guy who is making the offer is basically out of the playoffs but still in the chase for total pts. I'm currently in 3rd place in my division, with 2 guys tied for first and only one game ahead. Here are the details.
Start 3 SP, 1RP, position players and 3 OF. I think our scoring system is basic. But please let me know if you need details on that.

I have:
SP- Maddux, Buehrle, Russ Ortiz, K. Rueter
RP- E. Guardado
C- J. Kendall
1B- Ja. Giambi
2B- F. Vina
3B- C. Jones, A. Beltre
SS- O. Vizquel
OF- A. Jones, J. Jones, B. Abreu, J. Pierre

He has:
SP- Glavine, K. Wood, K. Wells, L. Hernandez, K. Brown
RP- Nen
C- M. Piazza
1B- J. Bagwell, S. Casey
2B- E. Alfonzo
3B- S. Hillenbrand
SS- N. Garciaparra
OF- E. Burks, M. Cameron, T. Hunter, B. Williams

He has offered me Glavine, Wood, Bagwell, Alfonzo, Hunter and either Burks or Cameron
for...
Giambi, J. Jones, A. Jones, F. Vina

Would you? Thanks in advance for any help.
Mitch22 Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby it'sbeenawhile » Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:53 pm

....in a heartbeat.

You get Glavine and Wood without giving up any starting pitchers???????!?!?!? I'd take that any day. In all, you're basically trading away and outfielder for two aces.

TAKE THE TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it'sbeenawhile

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Mitch22 » Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:06 pm

Much thanks for your help. I made the trade. I'm stacked at SP. Maybe I can trade now for some OF help.
Mitch22 Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Arlo » Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:54 pm

I like that thinking. If you can turn around and make a second trade on the heels of this one, you could turn a very nice profit indeed... You have quite a bit of flexibility now.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mitch22 » Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:34 pm

ok so now I've been offered Ryan Klesko for Glavine straight up. Seems to me like I'd be getting screwed here. Klesko has a great avg right now and from what I can tell by stats seems to be doing good. I just don't know much about him as far as is he injury prone? Does he slow down significantly in the second half of the season? Glavine is kicking some serious arse and I don't want to make a knee jerk trade. So what do you think about this? Should I do it since I haven't had Glavine to begin with so wouldn't know what I'd be missing or should I hold out for a better offer? Or counter with Wood or something? Again, thanks so much for y'alls help.
Mitch22 Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Arlo » Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:45 pm

Ryan Klesko -

The good: of/1b eligibility is worth more than it might seem; neither terribly injury-prone nor a true ironman (not that this should be a major consideration); nice average and overall stats; great eye

The bad: historically a first-half player; showing no speed this year; not the best lineup projection right now

Bottom line: he isn't quite worth a top starter, especially not with your current roster. he's a good player, but at those deep positions, he's just one of many, especially with his steals declining. I'd hold out for a higher offer.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mitch22 » Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:02 pm

I turned this trade down, but now he is offering Klesko and Brian Lawrence for Glavine and any player of mine I choose to make it a 2 for 2. I would choose either J. Pierre or Ellis Burks since they are basically the same player as far as YTD pts go. Maddux is nursing an ankle injury so I'd be glad to have Brian Lawrence. If I decline this, my outfield is: Abreu, Burks, Pierre and Hunter. Most of the other teams in my league are pretty well off with pitching and I haven't had any offers. Would you give up Glavine & Burks or Pierre for Klesko and Brian Lawrence?
Mitch22 Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Arlo » Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:49 pm

This is a head to head points league, yes? If so, it depends on how much steals are worth (or how much an upgrade Klesko would be over Pierre/Burks).

In many h2h leagues, starting pitching reigns supreme - if that's the case in yours, then I'd probably decline this one, too.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mitch22 » Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:50 pm

This is a head to head pts league. I declined that trade and countered Glavine for V. Guerrero or I. Suzuki and he declined. He then offered Jaun Gonzales for Glavine straight up. Yeah right. So I declined that one. He then offered Klesko for Buehrle. I ended up making that trade. If you go by YTD pts in the league then I came out on top. Not sure if Buehrle will continue like he has and and I'm pretty ok with my pitching without him so I took it. I hope it turns out to be a good thing. We'll see. I really appreciate all your help. I'm the only girl in a 10 team league and I know these guys think I'm just a "stupid girl" who knows nothing about sports. I'd like to prove 'em wrong. B-)
Mitch22 Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Arlo » Sat Jun 22, 2002 10:03 am

Sounds like a pretty even deal. If you'd profit in total points the way Klesko and Buehrle have played so far, there's no reason this shouldn't continue. Nice move! ;-D

The other point you raise - men not taking female players seriously - is unfortunately a common problem in fantasy sports. But at least it's that much sweeter when you do well... If you're only a game out of first in your division, it sounds like you're already proving them wrong. :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers