anyone know whats going on with johan santana? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

anyone know whats going on with johan santana?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Chopper » Sun May 23, 2004 1:16 pm

I know this is overly simplistic, since I've never followed or even seen Santana, but his home/away splits this year seem dramatic, especially over the last 5 or 6 starts. If he doesn't get beat up in Oakland and at Toronto, the year doesn't look bad at all.
I know that the home/away splits aren't consistent with his previous years, but for now, I think I'll sit him the next couple road games.
He doesn't walk many and gets plenty of K's; he's shown me enough that I'm not down on him at all yet.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Zito is God » Sun May 23, 2004 1:16 pm

swoosh3esq wrote:I just traded Dontrelle Willis, Milton, and Kevin Millar for Santana. I am surprised at how peops are willing to give up on a guy with so much potential after only two months. And he is not throwing that bad, good k/bb numbers.

Whoa, bad deal in my opinion. :-t

Millar is still a solid hitter who is in as satcked of a lineup as can be (plus Nomar uis coming back). Milton has always been a good pitcher and should keep his ERA in the mid 3s through the rest of the season, might get some wins too with all those big bats in that lineup. Willis started off hot, cooled off, but still is good. he has great stuff, although I think lots of veterans figuired out his delivery its still fooling most players. Hes got a team thats hot in producing runs which means more W's as well. I wouldn't have done that deal at all.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kcs261 » Sun May 23, 2004 4:06 pm

I'm not panicking. I drafted Santana and will not sell low on him. That said, he has earned a permanent spot on my bench for the time-being after today. I will also tell you that I AM worried. Folks, we are almost into June. I think it's normal for a pitcher to start off rough in April/May. But by this point, the corner should be turning. Just look at Mike Mussina who has finally started to come around a little. So I would start to be a leary. I also agree with Zito is God that Milton/Willis/Millar is too much for Santana.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Sun May 23, 2004 8:03 pm

Jeez, I like Santana a lot (in spite of today's disaster). But Milton, Willis and Millar...agree this is too much. Millar never really gets going till June, so his best is almost certainly still to come, especially with Boston's lineup being enhanced with the return of Nomar/Trot. Milton is a decent guy on a good team, and while Willis is being banged around presently, he's still worth reserving till he gets hot again. Of course, I don't know what you got out of the FA pool with the two open spots, so tough to fully assess the deal...but on the surface, seems like you gave up a lot.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers