anyone know whats going on with johan santana? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

anyone know whats going on with johan santana?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

anyone know whats going on with johan santana?

Postby sinicalypse » Sat May 22, 2004 12:32 pm

his era and whip have been atrocious, and im amazed that the media outlets like sportscenter and baseball tonight kept talking about his loss-free streak despite him pitching like crap.

i think he's got a 4.70/1.54, 1 or 2 wins... however the K/BBs are looking ok at i believe 46/15 in 51 2/3 IP.

the thing is he's given up 56 hits in those 51 2/3 IP, and if you look at 02 and 03 he gave up somewhat considerably less hits than IP, which is where his problems undoubtedly arise from.

does anyone who watches the twins know if his velocity is down? can he not locate pitches (i mean he must be able to somewhat for 46/15)... cuz i dont want to cut this guy free and have him pull a halladay (i cut halladay free last year literally one start before his 15 game winstreak)

so whats the dilly-o?

hasta
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pibb55 » Sat May 22, 2004 12:35 pm

Dont cut him loose at all, hes pitched good his last couple outings, just left in a little too long i think. There was talk that he was tipping his pitches about 2 weeks ago, and he may of fixed that. Expect solid stats form him here on out. ;-D
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Sat May 22, 2004 12:52 pm

As everyone knows I hate Santana. probobly mmy most hated player in all of baseball (keep this in mind while reading my .02):

Assuming you aren't in a 8 mkan league I wouldn't cut him loose because there is little chance you will find someone better on the FAs. Trading him would be tough as you woudl want to trade for another good pitcher who has been slumping (package someone for Roy Oswalt if possible). Santana has some good stuff yes, but his endurance is terrible so don't expect more then 7 inning out of him on ANY outing. Basically, I think his changeup has been figuired out by most hitters so now he has too options. His fasball ain't too great 92 I believe, nothing spectacular. His slider works well against lefties but righties crush it. He will still give you decent numbers because he is in the weakest division, but don't expect anything all-star material. I have been making comments about how guys overate him all season and this is just another one. :-)

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BronsonPinchot » Sat May 22, 2004 1:54 pm

Whats going on with him is that he sucks. I have Santana, havne't released him yet, but know I SHOULD release him. I'm just not willing to admit that he was a horrible pick and absolutely blows as a MR who happens to be started. If you have the balls, get rid of this loser. If you are a coward, like me, hold on to him.
BronsonPinchot Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Urge » Sat May 22, 2004 4:39 pm

He's been sucking for sure, but I get offers for him all the time. Last offer which I think I'll take was Overbay and Lieber for Santana.
Urge
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronsonPinchot » Sat May 22, 2004 4:46 pm

Overbay and Lieber for Santana is a great offer...snatch that shizz up. Unless you really need K's from your SP or something...in which case you may want to rough it out with him.
BronsonPinchot Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat May 22, 2004 4:47 pm

To Zito is God: Are you kidding me? From someone who thinks Barry Zito (3-3, 5.63 ERA, 1.58 WHIP) is God, how can you rip on Santana (2-1, 4.70, 1.37)? He's pitched better than Zito. Santana's also pitched 7 innings in 3 of his last 5 starts (which Zito hasn't). He had a 2.99 ERA in 2002 and a 3.07 ERA in 2003. Was he lucky for 2 years? Santana will be fine. He's already doing much better in May (3.86 ERA) than he did in April (5.40). He's striking 8 guys per 9 innings. The biggest difference he's facing so far is hits on balls in play, which is a reflection of the defense to some degree.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat May 22, 2004 5:59 pm

Thought I robbed Santana in the 13th round of my 8 teamer and still think I did. Give him some time. I think he'll have a huge second half.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zito is God » Sat May 22, 2004 8:21 pm

BobbyRoberto wrote:To Zito is God: Are you kidding me? From someone who thinks Barry Zito (3-3, 5.63 ERA, 1.58 WHIP) is God, how can you rip on Santana (2-1, 4.70, 1.37)? He's pitched better than Zito. Santana's also pitched 7 innings in 3 of his last 5 starts (which Zito hasn't). He had a 2.99 ERA in 2002 and a 3.07 ERA in 2003. Was he lucky for 2 years? Santana will be fine. He's already doing much better in May (3.86 ERA) than he did in April (5.40). He's striking 8 guys per 9 innings. The biggest difference he's facing so far is hits on balls in play, which is a reflection of the defense to some degree.

Why don't you read the quesion asked first before throwing your .02 in. I NEVER stated anything about Zito in my topic, not whether he was better or worse (although I think this one is obvious). I have no idea why you are giving me comparison of Zito's and santana's stats when this thread ain't about Zito at all, I never even stated who was better or worse this year. People have good years, then bad years. I can make the same arguement saying that about 8 years ago Appier was dominant (for 2 or more years) so therefore all of you should pikc him up. I don't care what he DID, I care about what he is DOING. With your arguement I can make the same case for Zito. Well, Zito won the Cy Young 2 years ago and that can't be luck so everyone should go and trade for him now. (This is not my arguement, justr giving an example of how your arguement makes no sense.)

For future notice, know what the topic is about before posting please...

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Twinskies » Sat May 22, 2004 8:35 pm

Is there another reason why you hate Santana or is it just that you think he's overrated?
This field, this game, it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh people will come Ray, people will most definitely come.
Twinskies
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers