All you guys in a hole..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All you guys in a hole.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

All you guys in a hole.....

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat May 22, 2004 7:18 am

I know it might sound crazy, but mark bellhorn. I dropped him for hudson right before hudson started to kill and I don't regret it one bit. I know his avg is pretty awful now, but his career avg is above this so he's due to raise it. What you have to like about this guy is that he reaches base alot and he can take a walk. With a +.390 obp he's a lock to stay in the 2 hole and mash. He has some power too and he's scoring like crazy (3 less runs than Arod) and he's driving in plenty of runs. Just imagine when nomar gets back.
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3552
Joined: 7 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Watching Over Everything

Postby wkelly91 » Sat May 22, 2004 7:24 am

I agree. I hope he's still on the waiver next week. ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2796
Joined: 10 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Looking over your shoulder as you type.

Re: All you guys in a hole.....

Postby DEF » Sat May 22, 2004 7:29 am

bronxxbomber wrote:I know it might sound crazy, but mark bellhorn. I dropped him for hudson right before hudson started to kill and I don't regret it one bit. I know his avg is pretty awful now, but his career avg is above this so he's due to raise it. What you have to like about this guy is that he reaches base alot and he can take a walk. With a +.390 obp he's a lock to stay in the 2 hole and mash. He has some power too and he's scoring like crazy (3 less runs than Arod) and he's driving in plenty of runs. Just imagine when nomar gets back.


When Nomar gets back he won't be an everyday player. The Sox want Reese at second for his defense, especially when Lowe pitches. Bellhorn will still get a decent amount of at-bats, especially if Mueller's injury problems linger as he could see some time at 3B, but if you have him, hopefully you're in a daily transaction league and have the time to check everyday whether he's playing or not. He's a marginal fantasy player anyway unless your league counts walks or on-base percentage, and Nomar's return will only hurt his value by reducing his playing time. AL-only leaguers will want to hold on to him, but mixed leaguers will probably want to look elsewhere when Nomar is back.
"I'm telling ya, he jumped us. Gloves off, stick down, no warning. He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names. But Dave was there."

"Dave's a killer."

"Yeah, Dave's a killer."

"Dave's a mess."
DEF
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 309
Joined: 18 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boston

Re: All you guys in a hole.....

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat May 22, 2004 10:17 pm

DEF wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:I know it might sound crazy, but mark bellhorn. I dropped him for hudson right before hudson started to kill and I don't regret it one bit. I know his avg is pretty awful now, but his career avg is above this so he's due to raise it. What you have to like about this guy is that he reaches base alot and he can take a walk. With a +.390 obp he's a lock to stay in the 2 hole and mash. He has some power too and he's scoring like crazy (3 less runs than Arod) and he's driving in plenty of runs. Just imagine when nomar gets back.


When Nomar gets back he won't be an everyday player. The Sox want Reese at second for his defense, especially when Lowe pitches. Bellhorn will still get a decent amount of at-bats, especially if Mueller's injury problems linger as he could see some time at 3B, but if you have him, hopefully you're in a daily transaction league and have the time to check everyday whether he's playing or not. He's a marginal fantasy player anyway unless your league counts walks or on-base percentage, and Nomar's return will only hurt his value by reducing his playing time. AL-only leaguers will want to hold on to him, but mixed leaguers will probably want to look elsewhere when Nomar is back.


I'm not too sure about this. Reese plays great defense and all but last season they stuck with walker who had a bad opb, sucked against lefties, and played bad defense. They gave him lots of days of course, but bellhorn has been adequate and the bat he brings to the lineup will probably make them change their minds.
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3552
Joined: 7 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Watching Over Everything

Re: All you guys in a hole.....

Postby DEF » Sat May 22, 2004 10:41 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:
DEF wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:I know it might sound crazy, but mark bellhorn. I dropped him for hudson right before hudson started to kill and I don't regret it one bit. I know his avg is pretty awful now, but his career avg is above this so he's due to raise it. What you have to like about this guy is that he reaches base alot and he can take a walk. With a +.390 obp he's a lock to stay in the 2 hole and mash. He has some power too and he's scoring like crazy (3 less runs than Arod) and he's driving in plenty of runs. Just imagine when nomar gets back.


When Nomar gets back he won't be an everyday player. The Sox want Reese at second for his defense, especially when Lowe pitches. Bellhorn will still get a decent amount of at-bats, especially if Mueller's injury problems linger as he could see some time at 3B, but if you have him, hopefully you're in a daily transaction league and have the time to check everyday whether he's playing or not. He's a marginal fantasy player anyway unless your league counts walks or on-base percentage, and Nomar's return will only hurt his value by reducing his playing time. AL-only leaguers will want to hold on to him, but mixed leaguers will probably want to look elsewhere when Nomar is back.


I'm not too sure about this. Reese plays great defense and all but last season they stuck with walker who had a bad opb, sucked against lefties, and played bad defense. They gave him lots of days of course, but bellhorn has been adequate and the bat he brings to the lineup will probably make them change their minds.


Walker's defense (or lack thereof) is why the Red Sox didn't bring him back even though he wanted to stay in Boston. The Sox actually played Damian Jackson a lot more they they should have last year because of Walker's defense, even though I don't think Jackson was great defensively either (Johnny Damon would probably agree :-D ). This offseason, they went out specifically to improve their defense up the middle, and did so by getting Reese. The Sox figured with all the offense they have, they could afford to have one batter in the lineup that wasn't much of a threat in return for improving their defense. When Nomar and Nixon get back, Boston should have plenty of offense and will be able to have Reese in the nine hole. Bellhorn will find his way into a decent amount of at-bats as a utility guy, but Reese will be the primary starter at 2B when Nomar is back.
"I'm telling ya, he jumped us. Gloves off, stick down, no warning. He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names. But Dave was there."

"Dave's a killer."

"Yeah, Dave's a killer."

"Dave's a mess."
DEF
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 309
Joined: 18 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boston

Postby Melo255 » Sat May 22, 2004 10:59 pm

Listen to DEF. He's 100% right. Once Nomar gets back Bellhorn is sitting his azz on the bench. They got rid of Walker and picked up Reese for a reason-defense. They want that Nomar/Reese combo up the middle. Reese is a bit of a liability offensively but once Nomar and Nixon get back that one hitter in the 9 spot isn't gonna make much of a difference. The other thing about Bellhorn is that underneath that OBP and all those walks is the fact that he strikes out like he's trying to emulate Thome. Ride Bellhorn while you can because very soon he's going to be making money spitting chew on the bench.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1411
Joined: 5 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: PAO Thira 13

Postby perlick29 » Sun May 23, 2004 12:32 am

well I'm taking both sides on this one. Bellhorn is a good replacement for the time being but he's not good enough to th point where it will hurt you when Nomar comes back to just drop him and find someone new. For the time being he helps in the runs and avg. department in a pretty big way.

By the way, for all those in a hole I recommend a flashlight and some kind of ladder to get yourself out. ;-D
Image
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4810
Joined: 10 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: praising the almighty Baseball Prospectus

Postby Arlo » Sun May 23, 2004 6:42 am

Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8847
Joined: 4 Jan 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Cheap Seats

Postby RoxSox8 » Sun May 23, 2004 9:18 am

I like all this bellhorn talk as a sox fan, and I'm almost convinced I should pick him up instead of Jimenez from Cin. They both walk alot and score some runs. Which way to should I go?
I'm not Mr. Lebowski man, I'm the Dude.

Red Sox Fan
Rockies Fan
RoxSox8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 653
Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Red Sox v. Yankees at Fenway Park

Postby BigLebowski » Sun May 23, 2004 1:12 pm

I'd ride Bellhorn for a couple of weeks or until Jimenez starts to heat up again. Jimenez has always been a slow starter. Pick him up in a couple of weeks and ride him while he is hot and you'll be alright.
Image
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8264
(Past Year: 474)
Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: QUACK-QUACK....GO DUCKS!

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Y`s Guy and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(1:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(4:05 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact