Scott Hairston on waivers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scott Hairston on waivers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scott Hairston on waivers

Postby LBJackal » Sat May 22, 2004 2:25 am

Just thought I'd give a heads up to everybody on the better half of the Hairston family. He played on May 7th but Yahoo being it's lazy self hasn't added him until today. In keeper leagues, he is one of, if not the best 2B prospect other than Weeks in baseball. He has power, and some say he won't remain at 2B but with Robbie out and the iffy IF in 'zona, you never know if he'll play there. He's played one game and it was at 2B. And he already qualifies there.

In keeper leagues, I'd definately recommend grabbing him. Re-drafts, probably not. And even in a keeper I probably wouldn't use a high priority on him. I'm trying to get him with 7th priority and hoping nobody else notices him sitting there. We have 8 keepers and free rookie keepers, so obviously I won't be getting Greinke. Hairston might be the second best player available (depending on Alex Rios, Upton, David Wright and Andy Marte as september callups).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bell » Sat May 22, 2004 2:29 am

Just a heads up that Arizona's Triple A team started playing him in the outfield not long ago with the intention of converting him. So it'll be interesting to see if he hangs around long enough this season to get an occassional start in the outfield. As for next season... :-?
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Sat May 22, 2004 4:54 am

Upton will probably be called up soon. So far he is still hitting great in Triple A, and through 9 games he is actually hitting better then he was Double A. More power, better average, and stealing more. They're trying their hardest not to promote him(ok...well they are trying hard considering these are the drays :-b), but the kid seems like he's on a mission. His defense isn't were it needs to be, which might be one factor why they sent him to Triple A instead of the bigs. But it is getting better, he's still just 19 and has the talent to become a top defensive SS. Before they sent him to Triple A, they were actually going to promote him to Tampa. But after telling him the night before, the Drays slept on it and called him back to tell him they were sending him to Triple A instead. (hence why i think he is on a mission to get to TB) anyways that's some info on Upton, don't kill me if my typing skills alude me....i'm about to pass out.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby LBJackal » Sat May 22, 2004 10:57 am

What happens to Lugo when Upton joins the team? Does Sanchez get benched? Lugo is my starting SS in a deep league, and if he gets benched, that sucks. But at least my backup, Bobby Crosby, is coming around. I can't imagine Lugo on the bench with Rey Sanchez (2 R, 0 RBI) taking up space in the MI.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Sat May 22, 2004 3:47 pm

No, don't worry Lugo won't be benched. Sanchez will be the odd man out and will be on the pine. They will move lugo to 2nd base, so he should be eligible to play 2nd/SS later this year and next.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Masked_RegularPoster » Sat May 22, 2004 3:51 pm

As someone mentioned, Hairston's got moved to the OF. 20 HR OF's are a dime a dozen. Probably not someone you want to keep unless you're in some sort of dynasty league.
Masked_RegularPoster
T-Ball Trainer

Postby hybrid » Sat May 22, 2004 3:54 pm

true, but in the future people think he can hit for more then just 20 hr's. most view him as a middle of the order bat. i doubt he really gets that much chance to play this year anyways.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby LBJackal » Tue May 25, 2004 3:16 am

Well he's made 2 starts, both coming at 2B. Kata isn't that great so as long as Robbie stays on the DL, Hairston should get enough games at 2B. I'm pretty sure they'd rather bench Kata then Gonzo, Finley, or Bautista.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers