the NBA sucks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

the NBA sucks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: the NBA sucks

Postby Nomar4prez » Sun May 23, 2004 5:25 pm

wkelly91 wrote:
matmat wrote:4) they don't ever call travels in this league... the latest argument I heard was that they only call those travels where the player gains an advantage... what a bunch of hogwash

I have not watched BBall much since Jordan retired and that is one of the reasons. I cant stand seeing these guys walking with the ball, and turning it over, IT DRIVES ME CRAZY :-[

I loved Jordan too, but he got ALL the calls. He traveled ALL the time, and pushed off more than Reggie Miller. Now he was an awesome athlete, but the refs pampered him WAY too much. But, I also loved to watch him. And, not all the superstars are arrogant punks. My fav. player, Vince Carter, is a great example. Many people THINK he's arrogant, and a punk, but, in truth, he has NO criminal record, and he pledges he has never tried any drug other than Alcohol. He also went back to college to graduate. Now, we think NBA players are arrogant b/c players such as Kobe, Latrell Sprewell, and others like him are being promoted when the NBA should be promoting people like Tim Duncan, Vince Carter, and maybe even hard workers like Walter McCarty. Just my opinion.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sun May 23, 2004 5:34 pm

I agree with many comments, but know this: Not all NBA stars are total idiots like some. One that comes to mind is, actually, LeBron. For a 19-year-old, he sure seems to have his head on straight. Michael Redd also falls into this category.

However, I must agree with the NCAA comment. I can't wait until Emeka gets into the NBA. He is something special. He's leaving his third year of UConn- because he's GRADUATING. An athlete and extraordinarily intelligent? Whatever team gets him will get one of the best.

Calhoun once told Okafor in practice not to hurt himself because he doesn't want Okafor to ruin his future in the NBA. Okafor replied, "I'll be happy to use my brain rather than my body to succeed." Level head, unlike some players in the NBA (AI comes to mind).

You want to talk about a filthy, arrogant, whining group of athletes, go to Boxing today. Tarver's comment about Roy Jones Jr. was funny, but uncalled for. Don King is a disgrace all by himself. The sport is marred by hype, gambling, judges being payed off, the list goes on.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby wkelly91 » Sun May 23, 2004 5:38 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:My fav. player, Vince Carter, is a great example. Many people THINK he's arrogant, and a punk, but, in truth, he has NO criminal record, and he pledges he has never tried any drug other than Alcohol.

It's a sad statement about the NBA that you have to emphasize that a player DOESN'T have a criminal record or use drugs. Used to be you could point out a handful who might have issues. :-t
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby EK711 » Sun May 23, 2004 5:39 pm

DK wrote:I agree with many comments, but know this: Not all NBA stars are total idiots like some. One that comes to mind is, actually, LeBron. For a 19-year-old, he sure seems to have his head on straight. Michael Redd also falls into this category.

I've heard many an interesting rumor about LeBron, although the better ones were never confirmed and didn't get out nationally. He didn't exactly leave St. V's on the best of terms. Don't get me wrong I like him a lot. But he has left little imperfections in his past. He really knows how to say the right thing, has been a great player/person since going to the Cavs, and there's no way I could not be a fan.

It feels weird saying it.... But I watched Cavs games this past year! :-D
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby matmat » Sun May 23, 2004 5:42 pm

EK711 wrote:
I've heard many an interesting rumor about LeBron, although the better ones were never confirmed and didn't get out nationally. He didn't exactly leave St. V's on the best of terms. Don't get me wrong I like him a lot. But he has left little imperfections in his past. He really knows how to say the right thing, has been a great player/person since going to the Cavs, and there's no way I could not be a fan.

errr.... I don't really wish it upon him, but seems to me that Kobe was also considered "a nice boy" before the recent, shall we say, troubles....
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Sun May 23, 2004 5:43 pm

wkelly91 wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:My fav. player, Vince Carter, is a great example. Many people THINK he's arrogant, and a punk, but, in truth, he has NO criminal record, and he pledges he has never tried any drug other than Alcohol.

It's a sad statement about the NBA that you have to emphasize that a player DOESN'T have a criminal record or use drugs. Used to be you could point out a handful who might have issues. :-t

Not just the NBA, but urban areas in general have become a haven for criminals. Sports usually reflect the good and bad of their country.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby matmat » Sun May 23, 2004 5:57 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:Not just the NBA, but urban areas in general have become a haven for criminals. Sports usually reflect the good and bad of their country.

is it portland that has a criminal record as a requirement to be on the roster?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Sun May 23, 2004 7:10 pm

matmat wrote:
EK711 wrote:

errr.... I don't really wish it upon him, but seems to me that Kobe was also considered "a nice boy" before the recent, shall we say, troubles....

Hm... I never knew that Kobe Bryant was the same as LeBron James. Thanks for clearing that up.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Mon May 24, 2004 8:16 pm

plus the horrible shootin percents. like, 28/83 for the twolves the other night?!?!?

thats horride. ya, theres pro level d, but how much can it really affect you?

and the last minute takes like, an hour

and the playoffs last way too long, like, i lose interst in the seond round

they could fix it, but they prolly wont :-t
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager