Danny Graves arm is gonna fall off... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Danny Graves arm is gonna fall off...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bibsybob » Sat May 22, 2004 11:13 pm

yea, he singlehandedly winning saves for my opponent this week... I saw the highlight, graves didnt look too good, the astros gave him that one...
bibsybob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby c0n0r » Sat May 22, 2004 11:21 pm

I rather be lucky than good anyday
My team would have WON if they hadnt LOST
c0n0r
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sat May 22, 2004 11:31 pm

20 FREAK'n saves!

Can anyone name a few stud players I could get for Graves? I'm curious.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bibsybob » Sat May 22, 2004 11:33 pm

they both accomplish the same thing. But being good means it happens more consistently
bibsybob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby c0n0r » Sat May 22, 2004 11:58 pm

bibsybob wrote:

they both accomplish the same thing. But being good means it happens more consistently

Not necessarily - there are plenty of good players out there who are consistently not in the spotlight - but its the ones lucky enough to be put in the position to shine (and succeed) that everyone hears about. Or writes or responds to threads about.
My team would have WON if they hadnt LOST
c0n0r
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bibsybob » Sun May 23, 2004 12:00 am

There are plenty more "good" players that get spotlight, and in a better way, then those lucky ones. I dont know what ur gettin at...
bibsybob
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LouisC9999 » Sun May 23, 2004 2:59 am

An owner desperate for saves is offering me Sheff for Graves. What would you do?

I'm thinking of accepting because it looks like Graves is being overused right now.
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sun May 23, 2004 3:44 am

All the people saying "even if Graves slows down, he'll still be near the top of the league in saves" well that's irrelevent unless you use retroactive stats. Lets say you hypothetically know that Graves will finish with 5 more saves than Gagne, as well as their ERA/WHIP/K's will be identical from here on out. Who would you rather have for the rest of the year? Graves at 55 or Gagne at 50? Gagne at 50, obviously. Because 20 of Graves' saves are already accounted for, while 10 of Gagne's are accounted for.

Do you really think Graves will continue at this pace? If you do, you're crazy/ He's not pitching as well as most think - guys like Baez, Kolb, and Dotel have been pitching better. They just havn't had the save opps yet. If you can get better than draft day value for Graves (obviously you can find somebody who thinks the 20 saves Graves already has will benefit him somehow) then by all means do it. Graves has been decent, and doesn't even get a lot of K's (not that K's matter so much for closers). I'd rather have Baez from here on out.

My advice: get what you can for Graves now. Did anybody think highly of him before the season? Not really. Is he doing better (other than save totals, which are random) than expected? Nope. So why is his value so high? Because of some lucky save opps? Everybody knows about "buy low, sell high" but they get cold feet when they feel like they have a stud closer on their hands.

And for the guy that asked about Sheff: hell yeah, I'd do that in a second. The possibility of surgery makes me worry but if you want big rewards you have to take big risks. (The risk being Sheff's health, not Graves' success. I'm pretty sure Graves has had his 15 minutes for this year.)

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun May 23, 2004 6:44 am

sinicalypse wrote:whose arm is going to fall off first? carlos zambrano or danny graves.

my vote is still for zambrano

Luis Gonzalez'
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Sun May 23, 2004 7:15 am

LBJackal wrote:If you can get better than draft day value for Graves (obviously you can find somebody who thinks the 20 saves Graves already has will benefit him somehow) then by all means do it.

Points taken, but those 20 saves do benefit him in one important sense: job security (barring a trade, of course).
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers