is moises alou the most clutch hitter in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

is moises alou the most clutch hitter in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Clutch

Postby Kwaziwampo » Mon May 24, 2004 1:12 am

Buckner
Kwaziwampo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 24, 2004 2:11 am

Transmogrifier wrote:I assume you're being sarcastic, but just to clarify: There are no clutch players--cite all the subjective analysis that you like, but the numbers prove otherwise--and Derek Jeter certainly isn't clutch.

I don't buy into the clutch hitter either (although the clutch hit does exist) and was just having some fun with this thread. But just to play Devil's Advocate there are almost as many holes in all of the "clutch hitters don't exist" studies as there "clutch hitter's exist" theories. They all spin the data to prove their point.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bukoski77 » Mon May 24, 2004 2:23 am

I'll stay neutraly diplomatic on the clutch=reality or not debate...................

Hypotheticaly, If I had to concede that "clutch" did exist..............

My vote would go to Nomar.

I'm and A's fan so naturaly most Spankee and Chowder head fans annoy me on an equaly frustrateing level.

Reaching back several years though, one of Nomar's early years in the Bigs when he got the MVP after being snubbed for the all-star game, he finished the year with 8 or 9 game tyeing or winning 8th/9th inning HR's.

That one sticks out big to me.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby assron » Mon May 24, 2004 2:48 am

alou is clutch cuz he pees on his hands daily. if that ain't clutch, tell me what is. ;-)
assron
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HOOTIE » Fri May 28, 2004 10:19 pm

LBJackal wrote:I believe in clutch (Don't hit me HOOTIE) but I also don't respect clutch players, ie: Kobe. It's not as rampant as most people say it is, but I believe there are players who perform better when they have pressure on them.

LBJ nah, you are safe lol.

Clutch exists, but only in small fragments. We could say Alous hr was a clutch hit. But over extended time, clutch does not exist, meaning there really isn't clutch players. Given enough chances, Alou will succeed and fail about the same in ANY scenerio. No sabermetric study yet has found clutch exists. If those clutch believers can show me proof clutch exists, i will gladly listen.

The best hitter in a given scenerio is easy, Bonds. He's the best hitter.

Man, Jeter has been clutch this year. Wasn't he 0-28? Oh, thats right, clutch believers NEVER look at the anti-clutch moments. They are still busy watching Jeters 20 foot toss to Posada to nail Posada.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby DK » Fri May 28, 2004 10:42 pm

Not clutch again... :~(
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Capnpitz » Fri May 28, 2004 11:22 pm

I'm trying to figure out the etymology of this usage of "clutch." I mean I'm pretty sure it has to go with "coming through in the clutch," but where does that come from? Like being in the "clutches" of some evil fate? Or like a clutch of eggs?

Maybe it comes from Richie "Clutch" Clutcherson, who hit .530 with men on base in the ninth inning from 1909-1920.

I made that up.
Capnpitz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HOOTIE » Sat May 29, 2004 1:22 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... pe=batting

Just a quick glance at Alou's last 3 years (01-03), show he's about the same, if not a bit worse with risp, and close and late.

Overall OPS is 843

With RISP it's 811

Close & Late it's 767
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 29, 2004 1:30 am

Capnpitz wrote:I'm trying to figure out the etymology of this usage of "clutch." I mean I'm pretty sure it has to go with "coming through in the clutch," but where does that come from?

Just a guess but clutch also means to seize so it probably was slang for seizing an opportunity.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers