is moises alou the most clutch hitter in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

is moises alou the most clutch hitter in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jbones733 » Sat May 22, 2004 11:56 am

amazinz u didnt metion Piazza - He is big time clutch , He's hit tonss of buig time home runs in his time w the Mets (1 after 9-11) just 1 off top of my head - off dotel this year,
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Longhorns76 » Sat May 22, 2004 12:00 pm

My vote may have to go to Gonzo. One game 7 in the bottom of the ninth with Mariano Rivera on the mound.....
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Sat May 22, 2004 12:17 pm

I believe in clutch (Don't hit me HOOTIE) but I also don't respect clutch players, ie: Kobe. It's not as rampant as most people say it is, but I believe there are players who perform better when they have pressure on them. Closers are a good example of this. Why do they do so bad in non-save situations and so good in save situations? Don't tell me that's not clutch.......

And whoever said they'd want Jeter up with the bases loaded, 2 out, blah blah blah, you should be shot. Bring back that Mendoza guy, he could probably do better :-b

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 22, 2004 12:29 pm

jbones733 wrote:amazinz u didnt metion Piazza - He is big time clutch , He's hit tonss of buig time home runs in his time w the Mets (1 after 9-11) just 1 off top of my head - off dotel this year,

I tend to stay away from Mets in conversations like this because people just disregard your opinion and assume you're being a homer. But yeah Piazza is pretty clutch. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jbones733 » Sat May 22, 2004 1:25 pm

Amazinz wrote:
jbones733 wrote:amazinz u didnt metion Piazza - He is big time clutch , He's hit tonss of buig time home runs in his time w the Mets (1 after 9-11) just 1 off top of my head - off dotel this year,

I tend to stay away from Mets in conversations like this because people just disregard your opinion and assume you're being a homer. But yeah Piazza is pretty clutch. :-D

HAHAA yeah i figured that, why i threw u a bone Amazinz ;-D
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby LCBOY » Sat May 22, 2004 4:24 pm

KULCAT wrote:Saying there is no CLUTCH is like saying there are not tighter situations in baseballs and that driving a run in the second inning of 2-1 game is the same as if it had been done in the 9º. Clutch players, thats another debate

Why is hitting in the 2nd inning different from hitting in the 9th? Please explain.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat May 22, 2004 4:28 pm

LCBOY wrote:
KULCAT wrote:Saying there is no CLUTCH is like saying there are not tighter situations in baseballs and that driving a run in the second inning of 2-1 game is the same as if it had been done in the 9º. Clutch players, thats another debate

Why is hitting in the 2nd inning different from hitting in the 9th? Please explain.

I'd say that if a team was losing hitting in the 9th would involve more pressure than hitting in the 2nd and being behind.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LCBOY » Sat May 22, 2004 4:33 pm

Amazinz wrote:
LCBOY wrote:

I'd say that if a team was losing hitting in the 9th would involve more pressure than hitting in the 2nd and being behind.

Please define "pressure". Most ML hitters are very focused individuals. They are trying to make contact regardless what inning it is.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Sat May 22, 2004 4:36 pm

Is there a difference between these two situations with 2 on and 2 out and losing by 1?
1) Hitting in the 2nd inning of opening day
2) Hitting in the 9th inning of game 7 in the World Series

I consider clutch to be performing well when the pressure is on and the things you do make a major difference.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby afromangettindrunk » Sat May 22, 2004 4:55 pm

im sure most of you people here have played baseball at some level...be it little league, babe ruth, mickey mantle, pro, college, whatever. you people tell me if there is a different sensation coming to bat at the very end of a game when your team is in a situation where they NEED YOU to produce. ignore "pressure" if you want, but its there.
afromangettindrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers