100 mph pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

100 mph pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Sat May 22, 2004 4:03 pm

Silver Slugger wrote:i read an article on espn about this last year. it says that the two pitchers with the most fastballs over 100mph in 2003 were billy wagoner and bartolo colon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1659935

I find Colon hard to believe. He used to throw 98 MPH but has toned it down for more movement and control.

CubsFan7724 wrote:I remember when Billy Koch was still good he could hit 100 MPH. Its not really too great for a guy to be throwing that hard all the time though.

I was waiting for him to be mentioned. He used to gas it in there and then last year, it looked like he was throwing BP.

LBJackal wrote:100 MPH thread and Wakefield is one of the only guys to be mentioned twice......... :-B

I can barely hit 75 MPH so to get 100 is just amazing to me. It can't really be taught, and anybody with that kind of speed is like a 7 footer in basketball: they need ot be shown how to use skill on top of natural talent/God given ability.

I agree with the bolded statement in the context that you meant but I slightly disagree. Many pitchers, Clemens included, have had decent velocity but have been taught to use their entire body to maximize velocity. You can gain around 5-7 MPH (or more) if you use your legs properly. That's just an example.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers