closing at wrigley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

closing at wrigley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

closing at wrigley

Postby spamnon » Fri May 21, 2004 10:11 am

So I know everyone is high on Latroy Hawkins as the heir appair for Joe BLOWroski, but I heard on Baseball Tonight that Farnsworth may be the guy to get the job.

I know Latroy has been nasty this year, but I think his role is best as a setup man. He was the closer at Minnesota and didn't do so well, but has definitely flourished as the man in the 8th.

Farnsworth on the otherhand throws some major heat (100 MPH +) but lacks some control. But 3 fastballs over the plate will get the guy out.

Also, news out of Arizona is that Broney might become the closer, any confirmation of this?
spamnon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Fri May 21, 2004 10:37 am

Farnsworth does have good stuff...but he has no control like you said and won't be the closer this year IMO until Hawkins is at least given the chance.

I am more interested in your Broney comment though, I heard someone (eftda maybe) say that also, and would like to know where you're hearing this.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby spamnon » Fri May 21, 2004 10:48 am

slomo007 wrote:Farnsworth does have good stuff...but he has no control like you said and won't be the closer this year IMO until Hawkins is at least given the chance.

I am more interested in your Broney comment though, I heard someone (eftda maybe) say that also, and would like to know where you're hearing this.

Here is the http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/fantasy/05/14/nl.report/index.html to the article I saw for the closer sitiuation in Arizona.

We will see about Farnsworth though.
spamnon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri May 21, 2004 11:03 am

i am actually thinking this is the weekend that dusty unofficially moves hawkins into the closer role. if there is a close game against the cardinals he will want to do everything to win it, and that means using hawkins instead of joblo.

the cubs have always thought of farns as a closer of the future. but for the present i dont think anyone thinks him capable of it. the problem is between the ears and not the arm. another year or two and maybe it will be a different story but i dont see it happening this year.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby WhiteHot » Fri May 21, 2004 12:09 pm

That same Arizona article says: "Of course, Valverde is doing very well right now, striking out more than a batter per inning, and is not in danger of losing his role."
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers