Soo tired of people knockin' Teix! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soo tired of people knockin' Teix!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby EK711 » Fri May 21, 2004 12:03 pm

I don't like to quote myself from other threads much, but I think that this one got scrolled down fast from yesterday and I think it may need to be repeated for the doubters out there. As some possibly statistical evidence for Tex's case.

EK711 wrote:I'm down on the guy too, but he was considered the top hitting prospect in all of baseball a few years ago, and still has the talent to produce big. I think he showed that last year. He hasn't actually done that bad yet this year even. If he would have gotten 5 more hits to this point, just 5, his average would be up to .271 instead of .210. He had the strained oblique which kept him out for a while, and just recently he got his hand dinged a little, but I'm not going to use this as an excuse for why Tex is performing below everyone's expectations so far. Look at his splits from his only other year in the bigs... Last year:

April 2003, Tex's first 64 ABs of the season.

.188 avg 2 2B 2 HR 7 RBI 7 BB 0 SB

This year since Tex came back from his Oblique injury on April 29th in just 56 ABs:

.179 avg 2 2B 2HR 3 RBI 9 BB 2 SB

If you throw out his first week before he got hurt and had to miss 17 days and consider April 29th his first shot to get himself going then I'd say that he looks like he's just off to a slow start again. That's my excuse for Tex performing poorly. He had to start over and is doing the same thing he did last year. I for one am not giving up on him for at least another month. I don't want to miss out on this year where he could still put up numbers at least as good as last year, and still has potential enough to exceed them.

If it were two weeks into the season everyone would say that it's too early to dump him. Well in my eyes Tex has only had a little over two weeks, I'm not going to dump him.

As for blaming the oblique for his problems I think that's not a good excuse. Javy Lopez had a strained oblique as well, but he's gone 19/62 (.306) since he came back from missing a few games with his oblique strain.

Sure one season is hardly a precedent for getting off to a slow start, but the point is that he's still just really starting to get a chance to swing. At any rate, to repeat what every one else has stated in this thread that is a "Big Teix" supporter, I'd give the guy some time. I don't want to miss out on him catching fire and having to watch him do it on somebody else's team.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WiseAndEck » Fri May 21, 2004 12:30 pm

I'm in a 10-team league, got sick of Teixeira and dropped him a few days ago. We have no waivers so he immediately became a free agent. Guess who picked him up? Nobody.
WiseAndEck
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RynMan » Fri May 21, 2004 12:50 pm

WiseAndEck wrote:I'm in a 10-team league, got sick of Teixeira and dropped him a few days ago. We have no waivers so he immediately became a free agent. Guess who picked him up? Nobody.

Jus shows your league all full of impatient people. I guess guys like Matt Lawton, Joe Kennedy and Matt Riley were all snatched up as soon as they got hot huh.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby slomo007 » Fri May 21, 2004 1:20 pm

Mark Teixeira (1B) Tex
The Rangers don't think that Mark Teixeira will need to go on the disabled list with his bruised left hand, although he was not able to swing a bat on Thursday, according to the Dallas Morning News.

That is the latest, not sounding good if he can't even swing a bat. I hope for Teixeira's fantasy owners' sakes, they put him on the DL for a while.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby GameOn » Fri May 21, 2004 3:09 pm

All the injuries have really made Tex a disappointment. I have him stashed on my bench in most leagues because I have some depth and I can wait for him to come around. However, if I was in a league where I needed a starting OF or 1B I think I would drop him. He has only had 81 AB, of which probably like 15 or 20 came before his injury. He was in a groove that first week and looked awesome, but once he got hurt and went on the DL he lost it. He really needs a good 100 ABs once he gets back to get back into a groove and now with this hand thing it could be a while. I am not expecting much out of him until after the all star break.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby yankeesrule2004 » Sat May 22, 2004 1:25 am

Hey he went 2-4 tonite with 2 doubles, 3 runs and a walk. Hopefully he will start to get hot.
yankeesrule2004
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby stomperrob » Sat May 22, 2004 1:29 am

yankeesrule2004 wrote:Hey he went 2-4 tonite with 2 doubles, 3 runs and a walk. Hopefully he will start to get hot.

Yeh, and it wasn't against some bum - he did it against Kevin Brown so maybe he's ready to start lightin' up the scoreboard for those of us who were patient and held on to him.
;-D ;-D ;-D
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby YoungGunnah » Sat May 22, 2004 1:44 am

yankeesrule2004 wrote:Hey he went 2-4 tonite with 2 doubles, 3 runs and a walk. Hopefully he will start to get hot.
Wasn't it 2/3?
YoungGunnah
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby yankeesrule2004 » Sat May 22, 2004 1:47 am

yes it was 2 for 3, just missed that somehow, freak error i guess, hehe, even better for tex though
yankeesrule2004
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GameOn » Sat May 22, 2004 4:35 pm

He got drilled in the back today by Contreras. Man he has to be in a lot of pain...oblique injury, hurt hand, pegged in the back, and he may still have some soreness in his neck from spring training.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers