I hate the Veto! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I hate the Veto!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby d18Mike » Fri May 21, 2004 2:19 am

I shopped Helton around for awhile -- two guy were extremely interested. In fact each sent me at least two absolutely absurd offers (i.e Konerko and Cintron, or straight up for Marte) which they were absolutely convinced were legitimate. They wer both peeved when I traded with a more rationale manager.

As was expected, two Veto votes immediately showed up. I'm 99% sure they were from the two disgruntled shoppers. (It made no difference, we need at least 6 vetos to kill a trade)

That's a long way of saying that vetos are often used as retaliation or to attempt to punish a one-time prospective trade partner.

The question I need to ask myself is; do I just veto all of their trades henceforth as a matter of principle? I won't. I don't want to be in a league like that so I won't perpetuate the practice. It spoils the fun.

But it's fairly common.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brdmaverick » Fri May 21, 2004 10:09 am

ya, i am with ya, I CAN'T stand some of the people I play with.

They don't try to judge a trade on whether there could be cheating or not. THey look at the trade, wonder if they would have done it themselves, and if not, then they veto. I can't stand that. So in my league, it's not just the person you are dealing with that has to accept the trade, it's everyone. There is a complete abuse of the veto power in my league.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby pilambp » Fri May 21, 2004 10:18 am

The problem is... most people play solely to win, not for fun. And when they see a trade, it is going to benefit one team, the other, or both, and that makes their team worse in the process. So why not hit the veto?

... Find a league with people you know, that's the only way to do it... and talk some sense into them!!
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brdmaverick » Fri May 21, 2004 11:00 am

pilambp wrote:The problem is... most people play solely to win, not for fun. And when they see a trade, it is going to benefit one team, the other, or both, and that makes their team worse in the process. So why not hit the veto?

... Find a league with people you know, that's the only way to do it... and talk some sense into them!!

i thought that was the answer to my problem as well, but things have actually been worse in leagues where I play with my friends. Things are getting too political. All my trades seem to get vetoed now because they are tired of seeing me win. I won fantasy baseball, football, and hockey with those group of guys last year.
brdmaverick
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers