Esix Snead - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Esix Snead

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Esix Snead

Postby Surfs up » Thu May 20, 2004 7:54 pm

The Mets called up Esix Snead today. Whats up with that? I seem to remember him having some speed.Is he up for a few days or are they going to give him a good look? Worth a buck faab?
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 195)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 20, 2004 8:00 pm

They brought him up instead of Duncan in case Cameron has to go on the DL. I am not really sure why they chose Snead over Duncan but it will probably only be a 2-week stint or so. He has 8 SBs and 1 CS this year with the Tides.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby matmat » Thu May 20, 2004 8:02 pm

don't know about exsix, but it is possible that the reason he got called up in place of duncan was some sort of 'options' situation, i.e. duncan might be running out of options.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby colontroubles » Thu May 20, 2004 8:03 pm

i read that he's faster than any human being you'll ever see
colontroubles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 20, 2004 8:04 pm

Yeah that definitely could be it. I looked but could not find the info to tell if that was the reason. There is also the possibility of showcasing for a pending trade.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu May 20, 2004 8:53 pm

Snead is the fastest man in professional baseball. Unfortunately, he can't hit and he doesn't walk. If only he could steal first base...

Also, I don't think that the Mets can trade him. They picked him up off the scrap heap for a whole lot of nothing. What's more- they were about the only team showing interest. Maybe they called him up to pinch run.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 20, 2004 9:10 pm

He was picked up off of waivers in 2001. I don't totally understand all the minor league transaction rules but I would think he's tradeable by now? Maybe not. Doubt he's getting traded anyway, just wishful thinking.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu May 20, 2004 9:35 pm

Snead has speed, but that's it. Last year with the Tides (I live in Norfolk), he hit about 230, though he set the all time franchise record in SBs (like 58 or so), while leading the International League by a large margin. If the Mets had been within a sniff of the postseason last year, I bet they would have signed him to the playoff roster strictly as a pinch runner.

He really has no fantasy value yet except in NL only leagues. If, somehow, he shows the ability to hit major league pitching better than AAA (Scott Podsednik), he could have some fantasy value, because you figure if the Mets called him up because of his speed, he's going to run. I just don't see that as very likely.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu May 20, 2004 9:39 pm

I remember seeing this guy in a video game with speed of 100 rating and I'd never heard of him before. However it's hard to forget him once you hear a name like Esix Snead. :-]
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 20, 2004 9:39 pm

Have you gotten to see him this year? He's hitting .275 in 80 ABs. Just wondering if looks any better although is OBP his still low .298.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers