projections for a fenom - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

projections for a fenom

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Thu May 20, 2004 10:18 pm

I'd take those numbers in a heartbeat. I have a feeling, though, that he will either be incredible or really bad. I would like to think its the former.
Yep his MLEs have been great and pretty much any team would love to have a guy with those numbers in the farm system. The problem is that the Royals have been downright horrid in developing the pitching talent they have without burning the player out. The Greinke call-up might be premature since Appier will be back soon pushing someone (most likely Greinke back to minors or Anderson into middle relief). Finishing the year in the minors would be excellent, but with the Beltran clock ticking the team is basically out of options.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Thu May 20, 2004 11:02 pm

TheArch1tect wrote:its spelled phenom.

it is spelled "it's"
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Longhorns76 » Thu May 20, 2004 11:16 pm

Keeper pick up for sure. He might get off to a hot start when nobody knows what to expect. After about 4-6 starts the big leaguers will catch up.

I'll pick him up and then deal him away for someone better in a redraft. Keep him in a keeper or trade away for a better keeper. Use the hype to your advantage. But don't pulled into it and be realistic.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Registered_Guest » Thu May 20, 2004 11:17 pm

Posted my Greinke projections in another Greinke thread.

I'd expect mid-to-high 4's in ERA, 1.40 WHIP. He's not ready for the bigs and if the Royals weren't so injury depleted and/or terrible, he wouldn't be called up. Greinke did give up more than a hit/IP last year in AA.

I don't think he's as ready as (or as good yet, nor will be as good in the future) as Harden last year or Brett Myers two years ago.

He doesn't have a lot going for him with this call up. AL Central's not as bad offensively as I expected going into this year.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shuffcard » Thu May 20, 2004 11:47 pm

[its spelled phenom.]

Shuld be it's or it is.[/quote]
shuffcard
College Coach
College Coach

Postby d18Mike » Fri May 21, 2004 2:41 am

I don't believe in the tooth fairly or Santa Claus (but strangely, I believe in the Easter Bunny) and I do not believe you can call up any 20-year-old who started pitching about 3 years ago and expect him to be Mark Prior, or even Mark Bruhele, out of the chute.

There are two other very young extremly talented pitchers in the Greinke mold who might be good barometers.

Like Greinke, Bonderman was rushed to the majors because his team stunk. He is only now starting to show the signs that he has the maturity to pitch effectively at the ML level. He probably should still be at AAA. But there isn't a scout out there who doesn't think he's a future #1.

Harden wasn't rushed quite as agressively, but there are those who say he could have used more time in AAA. Again, he's a consensus front-line starter.

I think if you look at these guys during their first year take the mid-point and you've got a pretty good idea of what to expect from Greinke.

I'd say: good first few outings as no one has seen his stuff (remember Harden), then ERA 4.25, WHIP 1.4, pretty much the same as Registered Guest above.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Fri May 21, 2004 2:46 am

Keeper league must, but unless you're in a very deep league, no reason to take him in non-keeper.

Projections as a starter from now till season's end: 8 W, 1.30 WHIP, 4.00 ERA, 90 K.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby KULCAT » Fri May 21, 2004 2:52 am

shuffcard wrote:[its spelled phenom.]

Shuld be it's or it is.
[/quote]

PEOPLE HOW BOUT IF YOU START A FANTASY GRAMMAR SITE AND GO THERE!!!
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby matmat » Fri May 21, 2004 3:46 am

TheArch1tect wrote:its spelled phenom.

KULCAT wrote:

Shuld be it's or it is.

PEOPLE HOW BOUT IF YOU START A FANTASY GRAMMAR SITE AND GO THERE!!!

I do not claim to spell everything correctly. . . but when the sole intent of a post is to correct someone's spelling or grammar the least the author could do is make sure that their message doesn't contain a very egregious error.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wkelly91 » Fri May 21, 2004 7:49 am

KULCAT wrote:

Shuld be it's or it is.

PEOPLE HOW BOUT IF YOU START A FANTASY GRAMMAR SITE AND GO THERE!!![/quote]

Thes es phunny es hail 8-o
wkelly91
General Manager