Hudson and K's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hudson and K's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hudson and K's

Postby Rodsky11 » Thu May 20, 2004 6:48 pm

Tim Hudson is pitching excellent this year as usual, but for some reason his K's seem to be way down. His WHIP and ERA are among the best in the game, yet he can't seem to rack up any strikeouts, whats the deal?
Rodsky11
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GameOn » Thu May 20, 2004 6:56 pm

Pitching isn't all about striking guys out. I have him on several of my teams but I have not seen him pitch much live so I can't comment on actually seeing him. However, his ERA and WHIP indicate that he is pitching well. I would guess that he is keeping the ball low, getting a lot of ground balls, and pitching to contact. I would say that this is a very good sign for him because you would have to figure that his K's will come around and when they do he will be virtually unhittable I would imagine. If you need K's bad well then i guess it hasn't been good for you, but I have been enjoying his performance so far.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu May 20, 2004 7:07 pm

Hudson is the epitome of an efficient pitcher. He keeps the ball down in the zone, which generates a lot of hits smashed into the dirt. He was one of the best - if not the best in pitches per inning in 2003 averaging around 15 per. He is probably not going to strike out 200 batters a year like some of the other aces, but he is still a great pitcher. He will go deeper into ball games, and keep his endurance up long term by throwing less pitches. Fantasy wise, he is a notch below a guy like Wood (healthy) because he lacks the ability to strike out 200 a year. That being said, he isn't a bad guy to build a staff around.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Pablo975 » Thu May 20, 2004 7:12 pm

Hudson reminds me of a younger Greg Maddux type. Not alot of Ks, but a lot of smart pitching.

That doesn't really console us greedy FB owners, but he's good at getting you 3 of the 4 categories an SP gets you.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Mugrila » Thu May 20, 2004 7:16 pm

no k's but as long as he keeps posting great era and whip #s i'm very happy with him.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Jer19G » Thu May 20, 2004 8:40 pm

I have had Hudson on my fantasy teams for the last 3 years and he is the definition of an ace. He is very consistant and the fact that he could easily have an era under 3 and a whip under 1.10and a decent win total makes him more valuable than wood in my eyes 8-o . (But that really depends on the makeup of the rest of your staff.) Hudson is definatly not a k pitcher, however I still think he can pull off 140-150k's this year. ;-D
Demon Days
Jer19G
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Thu May 20, 2004 11:23 pm

I think 3 years ago hudson had many many more K's but the trade off of that was that he also had a lot more walks. Fantasy wise that meant Higher Era, and whip. Last year the K's went way down but so did the walks and the result was an even better whip and era. This year the K's have gone even FARTHER down, yet he seems even more dominant.

INKcogKNEEdough
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GSes » Thu May 20, 2004 11:34 pm

I expect Hudson's K/9 to come back up to the 5-6 per 9 range, its currently around 3.

Hudson is dominant period

I expect, maybe even better in era & whip

20 wins
2.70 ERA
1.10 WHIP
160 K's
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ziggy Zoggy » Thu May 20, 2004 11:41 pm

Strikeouts are boring, besides that, they're facist. He throws more ground balls. It's more democratic.
"Woman is the most fiendish instrument of torture ever devised to bedevil the days of man."
Ziggy Zoggy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Registered_Guest » Thu May 20, 2004 11:44 pm

As others have mentioned, the entire A's pitching philosophy is being efficient. The Big 3 could care less about K's if they're winning. Harden will end up taking the same step in his career if he is to take his game to another level.

Another pitcher to watch is Carlos Zambrano in the future, he's becoming more and more efficient with his pitches. He's starting to understand he doesn't need to blown a mid-90's fastball to get an out. I'd expect his K-rate to decline over the next 2-3 years as he matures as a pitcher. 2 years ago, Carlos couldn't go 6 w/o throwing 100 pitches.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers