How do YOU get autographs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

How do YOU get autographs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do YOU get autographs?

Postby Zito is God » Wed May 19, 2004 9:01 pm

How do you get them? What do you get them on?

There are many autographs I want badly but I can't seem to find a way to get them. I don't want to BUY them, I want the player to actually sign it for me. I tried mailing requests once but never got anything in return and lost a couple of cards in the process.

What if i want a jersey autographed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed May 19, 2004 11:31 pm

A lot of players do the conventions and things like that for their teams where they sign autographs. Something like a jersey might be tough to do at a game. Maybe if you wrote the team of the player, they could tell you how to go about getting it signed?

I used to mail cards in the past, and had decent success with it. It's been years ago, so it seems like that has changed judging by your experiences.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ensanimal » Wed May 19, 2004 11:33 pm

I've been trying to figure that out too. Any help would be aprreciated.

I've heard that it's easier to get minor leaguers autographs, I think I may have to find a close spot to go see some games. :-b
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby stomperrob » Sat May 29, 2004 4:48 pm

About 15 years ago I tried an experiment - I mailed ten cards each to MLB, NBA, NHL, and NFL players to request their autographs. The important thing is to include a stamped self addressed envelope for them to use.

My results: 1 autographed card from each of MLB, NBA, and NHL. I got a whopping 7 autographed cards from the NFL. I think the problem with MLB is the number of games they play - they don't have a lot of down time to sign cards like NFL players do. Also, some MLB players have a bad attitude regarding autographs and have been known to bend the cards after signing them to make them worth less.

It should be noted the one baseball reply I got was from Nolan Ryan - unfortunately I had sent him a card that was not Upper Deck - he took the time to send an apology that he could not sign the card because of an exclusive contract he had with Upper Deck but hoped I wouold accept the autographed photo he had enclosed. That is one class man I will always respect! (It's not easy to get pitchers' autographs as they tend to rest their arms).
Last edited by stomperrob on Sun May 30, 2004 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Zito is God » Sat May 29, 2004 9:25 pm

But how do you get the addresses?

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Sun May 30, 2004 12:07 am

I bought a large soft cover book called The Sports Almanac - it comes out every year - it has stats and records on all sports plus addresses for all teams. Also you should be able to get team addresses by going to MLB.com and going to each teams' website.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:37 pm

Good advice here.

One more bit of advice: send mail to major leaguers so that they can sign during spring training. The return rate seems to be higher than during the season, although I'm sure it varies by player and team.

Good luck, by the way! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eftda » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:46 am

Tri-star has a program where you can send a ball/bat/jersey in and when that player does their convetion they will sign it and ship it back. Usefull if you want a jersey signed but I wouldn't trust it with a bat or a special ball.

---------------

About... 6 years ago i wrote a letter to Willie Mays asking for an autographed baseball. I was sent back with a guide as too how much each thing cost. In the end i got a Willie Myas autographed baseball for only 60 bucks. I later gave the ball to my dad (his fav ball player was Willie Mays) for his birthday.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:29 am

eftda wrote:Tri-star has a program where you can send a ball/bat/jersey in and when that player does their convetion they will sign it and ship it back. Usefull if you want a jersey signed but I wouldn't trust it with a bat or a special ball.

---------------

About... 6 years ago i wrote a letter to Willie Mays asking for an autographed baseball. I was sent back with a guide as too how much each thing cost. In the end i got a Willie Myas autographed baseball for only 60 bucks. I later gave the ball to my dad (his fav ball player was Willie Mays) for his birthday.

How would I use the program? Got a link or something?

Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:48 pm

Zito is God wrote:How would I use the program? Got a link or something?

http://www.tristarproductions.com/

I think you can send in a ball/bat/jersery and have the player sign it (for a small fee) if you are not able to go to one of their shows.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia