Minor League Sleepers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Minor League Sleepers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minor League Sleepers?

Postby irishcarbomb » Wed May 19, 2004 8:54 pm

Anyone of you follow closely enough to know which pitching prospects may be coming up in the near future? I know you guys have some ideas. Looking for the steal..
I'm as corny as the lump in your dump.
GO PHILS.
irishcarbomb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Wed May 19, 2004 9:06 pm

Well, if/when the Mariners have a spot in their rotation, it should be filled by either Raffy Soriano or Travis Blackley soon...

Also watch out forAngel Guzman. And, of course, Zack Greinke is coming up.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Giants Rule » Wed May 19, 2004 10:53 pm

Check out the stats on Jered Weaver of Long Beach State. Filthy stuff and the Padres might get first dibs at him. His stuff is so nasty he might be in the majors before the end of this season.
Giants Rule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Thu May 20, 2004 2:42 am

Giants Rule wrote:Check out the stats on Jered Weaver of Long Beach State. Filthy stuff and the Padres might get first dibs at him. His stuff is so nasty he might be in the majors before the end of this season.

Not really, his "stuff" isn't considered that nasty at all. By most scouts standards, his stuff is above average or just average. The reason why people like him is cause of his polish, not his stuff. He has outstanding control of his pitching and knows how to pitch.

B.Hendrckson will be having his debut w/ the Brewers, he has pitched great in triple a. I wouldn't expect a lot from him (then again no one expected willis to do what he did) but if things go his way you should keep an eye on him. Makes his debut Saturday.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby LBJackal » Thu May 20, 2004 4:07 am

Hendrickson hasn't been that good.......only a 1.25 WHIP and 6.3 K/9 in AAA. His control has been good, but I think he's going to get destroyed in the majors. Unless Milwaukee's sparkling offense steals him some wins :-o

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Zen Boy » Thu May 20, 2004 9:10 am

LBJackal wrote:Hendrickson hasn't been that good.......only a 1.25 WHIP and 6.3 K/9 in AAA. His control has been good, but I think he's going to get destroyed in the majors. Unless Milwaukee's sparkling offense steals him some wins :-o

Actually, according to rotoworld he has 23 Ks in 25.2 IP, and only 5 BBs. Never heard of him until this thread but now I'll be watching closely, thanks guys.
Zen Boy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby irishcarbomb » Thu May 20, 2004 9:52 am

cheers lads.....all help is appreciated
I'm as corny as the lump in your dump.
GO PHILS.
irishcarbomb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby hybrid » Thu May 20, 2004 1:08 pm

he only has a 2.25 era in Triple A, even if he doesn't do anything that good in the majors, I think he has been pitching pretty well (borderline great). only 4 pitchers in International league (triple a) have better era's. also only has given up 2 hr's in a tad over 40 IP.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby DK » Thu May 20, 2004 4:35 pm

Dare I say Matt Riley? :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Thu May 20, 2004 4:49 pm

hybrid wrote:he only has a 2.25 era in Triple A, even if he doesn't do anything that good in the majors, I think he has been pitching pretty well (borderline great). only 4 pitchers in International league (triple a) have better era's. also only has given up 2 hr's in a tad over 40 IP.

Yes his ERA is good but that doesn't tell the whole story. ERA requires a much larger sample size than WHIP does. ERA can take a huge jump from one swing of the bat, or remain very low based on a few lucky outs. WHIP is a very good indication of how a pitcher is doing. 1.25 is good, obviously, but nothing special, especially when you're not striking a lot of people out. He has 28 K's in 40 IP, I don't know where you got 23 in 25.2 IP. And he has 11 BB's, not 5. I'll stick with my assumption that he'll get rocked, and I won't be touching him unless he makes a few good starts.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers