Gus Zernial? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

Gus Zernial?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gus Zernial?

Postby wkelly91 » Wed May 19, 2004 8:49 pm

I never heard of this guy till I found him in a list of all-time greats in a particular area in the baseball encyclopedia....Do you know him? :-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Thu May 20, 2004 12:40 am

Hadn't really heard much about him. Did find one interesting thing that always tickles me about the 40's and 50's.

November 20, 1957: Traded by the Kansas City Athletics with Billy Martin, Mickey McDermott, Tom Morgan, Lou Skizas, and Tim Thompson to the Detroit Tigers for a player to be named later, Bill Tuttle, Jim Small, Duke Maas, John Tsitouris, Frank House, and Kent Hadley.

Got to love 13 player trades. ;-D
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby frog99 » Thu May 20, 2004 1:19 pm

Tavish wrote:Hadn't really heard much about him. Did find one interesting thing that always tickles me about the 40's and 50's.

November 20, 1957: Traded by the Kansas City Athletics with Billy Martin, Mickey McDermott, Tom Morgan, Lou Skizas, and Tim Thompson to the Detroit Tigers for a player to be named later, Bill Tuttle, Jim Small, Duke Maas, John Tsitouris, Frank House, and Kent Hadley.

Got to love 13 player trades. ;-D

and i thought it could only happen in a yahoo public league.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wkelly91 » Fri May 21, 2004 9:14 am

He was listed in the top 20 or so players with the highest Homerun% I think it was 5.7%. What I thought was interesting is some of the power hitters he was better than....and I'd never heard of this guy :-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:46 pm

Gus Zernial was an okay defensive outfielder and a very good power hitter. He had a a couple of very good years in the PCL. He was also linked romatically to marilyn monroe.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Old_Style » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:59 am

thedude wrote:Gus Zernial was an okay defensive outfielder and a very good power hitter. He had a a couple of very good years in the PCL. He was also linked romatically to marilyn monroe.

So was most of the yankees active roster.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:47 pm

Old_Style wrote:
thedude wrote:Gus Zernial was an okay defensive outfielder and a very good power hitter. He had a a couple of very good years in the PCL. He was also linked romatically to marilyn monroe.

So was most of the yankees active roster.

Can't blame her, afterall, chicks dig the longball.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Baseball History