David Wright - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Wright

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Thu May 20, 2004 11:00 am

hybrid wrote:Wright is killing the ball, but do you really think they would promote him this quickly? This is his first year in Double A, I'm not to familiar with how the mets move their prospects. But i tended to think it wasn't very aggressively. Even Jose Reyes despite being so young played 65 games at Double A & 42 games at Triple A. I think he could be called up around Sept. or slightly before and if he is still hot, compete for the 3b job in 2005.

The Mets historically have been overly aggressive with pitchers and overly patient with position players. Lately they have been protective of their pitchers trying to change their (the Mets) bad habits. Do I really think he'll be called up this early? No, probably not. Later in the year is a much more reasonable guesstimation. But I think it's a possibility and the odd Wiggy position change just got me thinking. Now that we know Cammy may be headed to the DL :-/ Wiggy at 2B allows Super Joe to play CF until Duncan in recalled which means I may have been reading into things too much.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Elohim » Thu May 20, 2004 5:43 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Yeah I noticed Wright, too. If he keeps playing like this he could be among the best 3B's in baseball in a few years. Not many, if any, have any speed whatsoever, so he could be awesome. But this is AA, so we shouldn't get carried away. It's very encouraging though, and I'm starting to wish I passed on Andy Marte and grabbed Wright..... :-[

Suckah!

:-D
Elohim
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Sun May 30, 2004 12:00 pm

According to today's NY Post (could not find the article in the online edition) David Wright is being moved up to Norfolk AAA this week. According to the article this will act as a precursor to him being promoted to the Mets after the AS break.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Elohim » Sun May 30, 2004 4:20 pm

Sweet. I think he's from the Norfolk area so he'll have friends and family coming to his games all the time. Hopefully he can excel in this situation...
Elohim
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KPucks » Sun May 30, 2004 6:10 pm

LBJackal wrote:Yeah I noticed Wright, too. If he keeps playing like this he could be among the best 3B's in baseball in a few years. Not many, if any, have any speed whatsoever, so he could be awesome. But this is AA, so we shouldn't get carried away. It's very encouraging though, and I'm starting to wish I passed on Andy Marte and grabbed Wright..... :-[

Suckah!

and you were asking if you took Wright too early. looks like it was a great pick!
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DK » Sun May 30, 2004 7:48 pm

KPucks wrote:

Suckah!

and you were asking if you took Wright too early. looks like it was a great pick!

I still got Kotchman and Fielder. :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby tlef316 » Sun May 30, 2004 10:19 pm

pilambp wrote:Maybe the Mets are trying to shop Wigginton around.. there are certainly some places he could end up:

Yankees --> 2B
Angels --> 3B

wigginton to the yankees :-o

never gonna happen. yankees would never want him and the mets would never do anything to help the yankees. even if he was good and the yankees wanted him the mets would try to bend them over the sink in a trade.

i've never seen wright, so i cant offer any commentary on his readiness. however, i think the success of reyes is causing the mets to be a little aggressive. i wouldnt be surprised to see kazmir get put on the fast track if the mets are still in it in july.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Sun May 30, 2004 10:37 pm

tlef316 wrote:
pilambp wrote:Maybe the Mets are trying to shop Wigginton around.. there are certainly some places he could end up:

Yankees --> 2B
Angels --> 3B

wigginton to the yankees :-o

never gonna happen. yankees would never want him and the mets would never do anything to help the yankees. even if he was good and the yankees wanted him the mets would try to bend them over the sink in a trade.

i've never seen wright, so i cant offer any commentary on his readiness. however, i think the success of reyes is causing the mets to be a little aggressive. i wouldnt be surprised to see kazmir get put on the fast track if the mets are still in it in july.

Yeah Jason Anderson, Anderson Garcia, and Ryan Bicondoa for Armando Benitez. The Mets didn't even use lube that time. :-? :-D

I doubt the Mets and Yankees would ever be involved in a blockbuster trade together but any trade involving Wiggy wouldn't exactly be blockbuster. IMO Wiggy would be good for the Yankees because defensively he's better than their current options but what could the Yankees give for him? Not that Wiggy is worth a lot but you can't exactly give him away for free.

I don't think you'll see the same agressiveness with Kazmir because the Mets seem to be gun shy about rushing their pitchers. I also don't think Reyes is the reason they are "rushing" Wright. If that were the case they have several other good prospects that could be rushed too. Wright is ready to be given a shot whether or not he succeeds remains to be seen.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby LBJackal » Mon May 31, 2004 12:33 am

DK wrote:
KPucks wrote:

Suckah!

I still got Kotchman and Fielder. :D

It was a different league that I got Marte in.........I got Greinke in DKs auction dynasty ;-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Registered_Guest » Mon May 31, 2004 2:45 am

Marte's a great pick. I'd still take him over Wright. You're not gonna be disappointed.

NY prospects tend to get overhyped -- like anyone needs to tell you that ;-D

They'd be gushing over Marte too if he didn't play for Atlanta. Wright's not gonna be a "SB machine" in NY -- 1) He's helluva lot slower than Kaz & look how many he's got and 2) Art Howe doesn't run. As Wright fills out and becomes a middle of the order threat -- rest assured he won't be stealing bases, but rather knocking in Reyes/Matsui.

If NY can get people to believe Sebastian Telfair is anywhere close to ready for the NBA, they can do anything. Instead of getting outplayed by Depaul's PGs next year, he'll rot as the last man on an NBA bench ;-D and be one step closer to NBDL territory.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers