David Wright - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Wright

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Wright

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 19, 2004 7:20 pm

Interesting speculation: Wigginton is playing 2B tonight and Wright is tearing the cover off the ball in the minor leagues. There has been speculation that the Mets were considering bring Wright up sooner than later. If Wright comes up and takes 3B that means Wiggy is the odd man out. His natural position is 2B but Garcia has played well enough to claim the job and Reyes looms on the horizon. Wiggy has been playing 3B for two years now there is no reason for him to play 2B unless they are showcasing him for a possible trade. Maybe I'm crazy but I think Wright is right around the corner.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Elohim » Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 pm

I sure hope so. I drafted him in my rookie draft and could use another solid bat. He's even stealing bags at AA.
Elohim
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed May 19, 2004 7:48 pm

I think that you could be right, though he is still very young. He has the ability, however, to be among the best in the league already, though.

Interesting insight, in any case. Let's see them platoon for a little while before we trade Wiggington, though.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DieHardCubbie » Wed May 19, 2004 9:58 pm

Insteresting thouhgt Amazinz....I snagged him in a very deep NL only league...as a minor....hope it works out.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby thehat » Wed May 19, 2004 11:18 pm

Jeez, I hope they don't rush Wright despite his stellar showing at each level thus far. But he's likely not ready now. Very pure hitter, with power, with surprising speed, and he's going to be a good defender as well. He's been projected as the 3B starter in 2006, maybe late 2005. Appears he may be accelerating to the point where he's ready for AAA this year rather than next, but he's not big league ready now from what I can gather.

Great future pick, though, as he projects to .300, 25 HR, 15 SB in the show when he is ready.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 19, 2004 11:47 pm

Wright is already considered a major-league ready defensive 3B by scouts. The main concern was giving him more experience hitting in the minors. The Mets plan since the end of last year was to have him start in AA and finish in AAA this year hopefully making the bigs by 2005. Nobody expected the offensive explosion though. He is dominating above and beyond most expectations at this point. Duquette has said that if he continued to play at this level they would consider bringing him up this year.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Thu May 20, 2004 12:36 am

Yeah I noticed Wright, too. If he keeps playing like this he could be among the best 3B's in baseball in a few years. Not many, if any, have any speed whatsoever, so he could be awesome. But this is AA, so we shouldn't get carried away. It's very encouraging though, and I'm starting to wish I passed on Andy Marte and grabbed Wright..... :-[

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Thu May 20, 2004 2:33 am

Wright is killing the ball, but do you really think they would promote him this quickly? This is his first year in Double A, I'm not to familiar with how the mets move their prospects. But i tended to think it wasn't very aggressively. Even Jose Reyes despite being so young played 65 games at Double A & 42 games at Triple A. I think he could be called up around Sept. or slightly before and if he is still hot, compete for the 3b job in 2005.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu May 20, 2004 10:35 am

LBJackal wrote:Yeah I noticed Wright, too. If he keeps playing like this he could be among the best 3B's in baseball in a few years. Not many, if any, have any speed whatsoever, so he could be awesome. But this is AA, so we shouldn't get carried away. It's very encouraging though, and I'm starting to wish I passed on Andy Marte and grabbed Wright..... :-[

Suckah!
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby pilambp » Thu May 20, 2004 10:52 am

Maybe the Mets are trying to shop Wigginton around.. there are certainly some places he could end up:

Yankees --> 2B
Angels --> 3B
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers