Underperformers/ who can be gotten cheap right now? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Underperformers/ who can be gotten cheap right now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikemcj55 » Wed May 19, 2004 7:17 pm

bump
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby athxu » Wed May 19, 2004 7:24 pm

GucciBaseballs wrote:1, you mean like the yahoo rankings? If your league members use this, i think it is time to graduate to a more competitive league. (Also if so, there are tons of ways to exploit this, ie players who slumped last year or were injured) ;-D

That's a good point. What are some other ranking systems out there? All of them of course have flaws, but they still have value.

I think for those of us who don't watch an insane amount of baseball, trend watching can be pretty valuable. The hit/miss ratio might be no more than 1:5 or 1:10, but the hits makes up for the misses.
athxu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GucciBaseballs » Wed May 19, 2004 7:28 pm

i use the ones at rotoguys.com (14.95 register fee although i find the insite and projections well worth it). I customize those slightly based on how i feel. I also futz around with projections that i make. I personally don't like the ones at the cheat sheets section here at the cafe. That stuff is basically regarded as the common knowledge for a good FB player. When i plug the numbers into my projection set, they are far different.
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby G-Man » Wed May 19, 2004 7:37 pm

TheAbreu wrote:AL East

Gary Sheffield
Derek Jeter
Carlos Delgado
Vernon Wells
Aubrey Huff
Rocco Baldelli

AL Central

Juan Gonzalez
Mike Sweeney
Angel Berroa
Johann Santana
Carlos Lee

AL West
Joel Piniero
Gil Meche
Barry Zito
Mark Teixieria

NL East
Luis Castillo
AJ Burnett(injury)
Jason Phillips
Chipper Jones
Mike Hampton
Marlon Byrd
Vincente Padilla
Brett Myers
Nick Johnson
Tony Armas Jr(injury)
Jose Vidro

NL Central
Greg Maddux
Corey Patterson
Morgan Ensberg
Edgar Renteria
Austin Kearns

NL West
Milton Bradley
Larry Walker(injury)
Preston Wilson(injury)
Brian Giles
Brandon Webb

scratch Chipper from this list....he is a painfully average OF with nothing to contribute to fantasy teams (there will ALWAYS be better FA OF options than him).
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby godallahstar » Wed May 19, 2004 7:40 pm

better Free Agents than chippers 25+ home runs, 100+ rbi, and 300+ avg?

what crappy league are you playing in?
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed May 19, 2004 7:46 pm

GucciBaseballs wrote:You can get him relatively cheap now, Pujols.

;-D

the owner in our league is not happy with his batting average and pop ups and 1 for 4 nights....

he could be dealt to another owner for prior in our league next week....

8-o
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby G-Man » Wed May 19, 2004 7:46 pm

godallahstar wrote:better Free Agents than chippers 25+ home runs, 100+ rbi, and 300+ avg?

no way chipper knocks in 100 this year. granted he has been steady for like the past 8 years but I don't believe he has even hit double digits in ribbies yet and he now is battling a nagging hammy.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Wed May 19, 2004 7:51 pm

godallahstar wrote:better Free Agents than chippers 25+ home runs, 100+ rbi, and 300+ avg?

right now in my league the same guy that has pujols, cannot give chipper away....

if you followed him last season you know that he slumped horribly and still raised his average to above .300 and still drove in over 100 runs (something that he says that he strives to do every year)....

right now he has a lingering injury and gone are sheffield, lopez and castilla and all of the braves' offense....

add to that a missing giles and furcal (who is not much) and a slumping de rosa and andruw being andruw, and chipper could have his worse season in recent memory....

nobody wants chipper in my league...because they do not seeing his situation in atlanta (RBI potential, protection) getting any better...

i think it will, but if the braves are out of it in august and he pulls up lame again, he could sit out the rest of the season to avoid doing further damage and hurt playoff bound fantasy teams by simply not helping them......
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby G-Man » Wed May 19, 2004 7:56 pm

Krunk City King$ wrote:

right now in my league the same guy that has pujols, cannot give chipper away....

if you followed him last season you know that he slumped horribly and still raised his average to above .300 and still drove in over 100 runs (something that he says that he strives to do every year)....

right now he has a lingering injury and gone are sheffield, lopez and castilla and all of the braves' offense....

add to that a missing giles and furcal (who is not much) and a slumping de rosa and andruw being andruw, and chipper could have his worse season in recent memory....

nobody wants chipper in my league...because they do not seeing his situation in atlanta (RBI potential, protection) getting any better...

i think it will, but if the braves are out of it in august and he pulls up lame again, he could sit out the rest of the season to avoid doing further damage and hurt playoff bound fantasy teams by simply not helping them......

good analysis krunk. chipper is obviously a nice hitter but his value would certainly be greater if he was still eligible at the hot corner and if there weren't so many other detrimental factors involved this season.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby matmat » Wed May 19, 2004 8:24 pm

G-Man wrote:
no way chipper knocks in 100 this year. granted he has been steady for like the past 8 years but I don't believe he has even hit double digits in ribbies yet and he now is battling a nagging hammy.

hmmm.. do you think that chipper will have more than 75 baserunners in front of him this season? :/
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers