And you think MLB has problems??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

And you think MLB has problems???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 19, 2004 4:18 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I'm all for the automatic icings to quicken the pace up a bit. ;-)

Me too. It's stupid to have to rush back to your own end to touch the puck. I'm sure Marco Sturm is thinking the same thing while he's watchign his team play in the conference finals. Racing full speed towards a wall with somebody trying to tackle you is not an aspect of the game I'd be sad to see go.

A larger ice surface would open the game up a bit, but I don't think there should be so many attempts to create more scoring. Making goalie pads smaller is one thing that would be good, but I think the ice surface is a good size already.

I cringe everytime I see a replay of Sturm. He was have a great year too.

Playing the game I can tell you that the players hate it too. There is nothing worse than having to race back for a puck at the end of a long shift - its tiring and pointless and it often leads to stupid pushing and shoving after the whistle. I don't know how many time our goalie has had to play the puck and nullify an icing just because we were too lazy to skate back :-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Heimush » Wed May 19, 2004 4:24 pm

3 words: TOO MANY TEAMS

NHL expanded way to fast, and into markets that were not neccessarily that interested in the first place. There just arent enough good players to go around, so everyone preaches defense. (If you cant score, just stop the other team.)

Hockey is an amazing sport, but it wont survive unless they cut about 8 teams, and give a couple back to Canada, where they truly love the sport! Its a crime that they took teams from winnipeg and Quebec and gave them to Tampa, Nashville, Miami, carolina, etc, etc. (and this coming from a new yorker!)
"Inconceivable!"

"This word...I do not think it means what you think it means."
Heimush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ensanimal » Wed May 19, 2004 6:07 pm

another idea i had heard that sounds like a great idea to improve offense, was one of enlarging the size of the lines, both blue and red. Bobby Smith came up with the idea, and, if I'm not mistaken, he said it would lengthen the ice by 6ft, without actually increasing the playing surface.

let me see if i can find a link :-?
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Re: And you think MLB has problems???

Postby DK » Wed May 19, 2004 6:17 pm

Madison wrote:
ZAZ wrote:NHL's regular season ratings were beaten this year by BOWLING

;-D

:-)

:-D

As soon as I saw the first message in this thread, I knew Mad was going to get it sooner or later. :D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ensanimal » Wed May 19, 2004 7:33 pm

it's not the full article, but you can get the idea.

sounds good by me. ;-D

http://www.darrenbarefoot.com/archives/000022.html
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby matmat » Wed May 19, 2004 8:18 pm

I love hockey. I really like watching international games. I think that the NHL would do well to widen the rink to international size and adopt the automatic icing rule.

With that said, there problem is that for most of the US the climata does not lend itself to being a hockey fan. Parents don't take little johnnies and katies to the park to skate and shoot some pucks... (except for parts of minnesota and michigan and the like). they take them to the park to play catch, to throw a football around. The summer sports are the ones that are nurtured. Hockey is, in a sense, also too expensive . . .skates, stick, puck, pads, etc. etc...

I also really like soccer (play it regularly)... it is one of those sports that you have to play to appreciate. pretty much every kid in europe plays soccer at some point... here it stops being cool to play soccer once the ball is smaller than half of your body.

as far as attention spans are concerned... isn't this a baseball forum? a game lasts how long? most of the time we get to watch people walking around spitting and scratching themselves.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wkelly91 » Wed May 19, 2004 8:40 pm

Better ratings?

XFL :-P
Fox's celebrity boxing 8-o
Special olympics ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 19, 2004 9:29 pm

Some of the proposed rule changes make me sick. You wanna move the nets back or make the lines bigger, fine. You wanna stop the goalies from playing the puck, that's just garbage. I hate the Devils but Brodeur is awesome at playing the puck. There is no reason to make a rule to hinder puck handling goalies like Brodeur, Turco, etc. They should be rewarded.

I agree that more teams=more watered down teams=more guys playing in the NHL who shouldn't be. I blame a lot of the trap on that. Teams like Minnesota can't compete playing an open, offensive style. It is much easier to teach a defensive system than it is to teach skill. This is the only way for some of those teams to compete.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Zito is God » Wed May 19, 2004 10:11 pm

The one rule I really want changed is the tie rule. I do NOT WANT TIES IN HOCKEY. Either make repeated overtimes or even better, bring back the shootouts.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 19, 2004 10:36 pm

I hate shootouts from an integrity standpoint. Hockey is a team sport and I would hate to see it come down to who has the best few 1-on-1 players. I think that Clarke said that it wouldn't be good for the games to end on a gimmick. A lot like ending a tie in the NFL by having the QB's throw passes through tires.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk