And you think MLB has problems??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

And you think MLB has problems???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: And you think MLB has problems???

Postby Madison » Wed May 19, 2004 3:06 pm

ZAZ wrote:NHL's regular season ratings were beaten this year by BOWLING

;-D

:-)

:-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ensanimal » Wed May 19, 2004 3:09 pm

Amazinz wrote:
stomperrob wrote:One of the biggest problems in the US is the announcers - they are terrible compared to those on Canadian TV

I haven't seen many Canadien broadcasts, every once in awhile a game will get blacked out and I'll watch the Toronto or Montreal broadcast to see my Islanders play. If you're referring to the ESPN announcing I agree that's it's awful although I don't know if it's driving fans away. I like the NY announcers but perhaps it's just a matter of not knowing what I'm missing. :)

ensanimal wrote:it is sad, that most americans do not appreciate hockey the way they should. it is the fastest, must entertaining sport to watch. i agree that they need to do something because the game has slowed down, thus becoming duller, because of the emphasis on defense.

to those who like hockey though that is welcome. to market it though, they need to be able to put something more exciting on the ice.

anyone who has seen this years playoffs must admit that it is great hockey that is being played.

The slow pace or the emphasis on defense is welcome? I would like an emphasis on defense without slowing the game. If I want a slow pace I will watch Baseball :) but I want my hockey fast and furious. The lack of scoring doesn't bother me although I am not sure how it affects other American fans. I enjoy watching a goalie "in the zone" as much as I appreciate a great pitcher's dual. But when you have an entire period killed due to the trap that is just painfully boring IMHO.

the emphasis on defense is welcome. slowing down the game though, which i hate, is directly a result of that due to the dreaded trap.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 19, 2004 3:11 pm

LBJackal wrote:I love hockey, and wish it was more popular, but I don't want to "Americanize" it to make it appeal to you guys.

Who said anything about "Americanizing"? (Is that a word, LOL) The fighting aspect of hockey is all about Canadien hockey. I guess you could call expanded rinks "Europeanizing"? but that's already happened. The game is no longer purely Canadien it was blended with the European style years ago.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gordonx42 » Wed May 19, 2004 3:12 pm

the NHL drives me nuts. i am a big hockey fan, and love watching the rangers (except for the last 7 years)...problem with the nhl is...there's too many damn teams. the talent is so watered down. bluejackets? nashville predators? what the hell is that crap? they over-expanded and it has destroyed the league. they should eliminate ten teams.
Gordonx42
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stomperrob » Wed May 19, 2004 3:25 pm

Amazinz wrote:I haven't seen many Canadien broadcasts, every once in awhile a game will get blacked out and I'll watch the Toronto or Montreal broadcast to see my Islanders play. If you're referring to the ESPN announcing I agree that's it's awful although I don't know if it's driving fans away. I like the NY announcers but perhaps it's just a matter of not knowing what I'm missing. :)

It's not that ESPN and the other U.S. networks drive viewers away , it's that they don't understand the game enough to break it down and explain what's going on so that new viewers understand and appreciate the game.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LBJackal » Wed May 19, 2004 3:40 pm

Amazinz wrote:
LBJackal wrote:I love hockey, and wish it was more popular, but I don't want to "Americanize" it to make it appeal to you guys.

Who said anything about "Americanizing"? (Is that a word, LOL) The fighting aspect of hockey is all about Canadien hockey. I guess you could call expanded rinks "Europeanizing"? but that's already happened. The game is no longer purely Canadien it was blended with the European style years ago.

By "americanize" I mean make it high scoring so people there will watch. Leave it the way it is...it's good now. I don't want to make it worse just so Americans will watch it. A shootout in the regular season after OT is something I'd like to see though. Improving the game is fine, but I don't think artificially increasing scoring is the way to do it. Goalies are much, much better these days, and strategies are more defense-oriented. So scores are going to be low..which is fine. There will never be another Wayne Gretzky stats-wise, but that doesn't mean nobody will be as skilled as he was.

My fear is that the game will be dumbed-down too much attempting to make people understand it, in the same way that Scooter was used by FOX. First it was the glowing puck.....and announcers on ESPN/ABC are clueless half the time. The other half of the time they are explaining what an icing or offsides is.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 19, 2004 3:48 pm

Madison wrote:

;-D

Bowling is on TV?? 8-o

Are you talking "Bowling for dollars"? I haven't seen that on the tube for years?

MAdison - have you gotten on tv?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Madison » Wed May 19, 2004 4:03 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Madison wrote:

;-D

Bowling is on TV?? 8-o

Are you talking "Bowling for dollars"? I haven't seen that on the tube for years?

MAdison - have you gotten on tv?

ESPN shows the Professional Bowlers Tour live every Sunday of the season. :-) It's the offseason right now, but keep an eye out if you want to see it next year. B-)

Makes sense due to the fact that it's the second most played sport in the world ;-) . Golf holds the #1 title.

No, I haven't been on TV for bowling. I did make it on TV at a wrestling show a long time ago though. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 19, 2004 4:04 pm

LBJackal: Misunderstood what you were referring too. I agree with you. I don't want them to force higher scores just to attract new viewers either although I think bigger rinks might lead to higher scoring. That's not bad IMHO as long as it's just a natural progression of the sport. This new idea to push the nets against the rink is just awful IMO but I'm all for the automatic icings to quicken the pace up a bit. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Wed May 19, 2004 4:12 pm

Amazinz wrote:I'm all for the automatic icings to quicken the pace up a bit. ;-)

Me too. It's stupid to have to rush back to your own end to touch the puck. I'm sure Marco Sturm is thinking the same thing while he's watchign his team play in the conference finals. Racing full speed towards a wall with somebody trying to tackle you is not an aspect of the game I'd be sad to see go.

A larger ice surface would open the game up a bit, but I don't think there should be so many attempts to create more scoring. Making goalie pads smaller is one thing that would be good, but I think the ice surface is a good size already.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk