And you think MLB has problems??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

And you think MLB has problems???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

And you think MLB has problems???

Postby ZAZ » Wed May 19, 2004 12:46 pm

This is probably old news to many, but I just read a stat about the NHL ratings that made me almost choke on my breakfast. NHL's regular season ratings were beaten this year by BOWLING, ARENA FOOTBALL, and POKER.

This, coupled with their almost certain strike next year, has to make you glad you're a baseball fan. Next time a "MLB is in trouble" thread comes up, just keep that in mind.
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Wed May 19, 2004 12:56 pm

I am the biggest NHL fan I know and it saddens me that the great sport of hockey doesn't get the recodnition it deserves in this country. If a lockdown happens it will destroy all thats left of hockey fans in this country. :-t

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed May 19, 2004 1:50 pm

Zito is God wrote:I am the biggest NHL fan I know and it saddens me that the great sport of hockey doesn't get the recodnition it deserves in this country. If a lockdown happens it will destroy all thats left of hockey fans in this country. :-t

There are hockey fans here? :-D Actually I've tried recently to watch some of the playoffs, and I have to say that I find it interesting, but just wish I knew/understood some of the rules better. I don't know if this is really the case, but you hear the talking heads always saying that there is no star power in the NHL. Don't really know how accurate that is. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 19, 2004 2:16 pm

I agree that there isn't much star power in the NHL but I think that has a lot to do with a lack of marketing than an actual void. A lot of stars are foreigners and maybe that plays into their marketability.

If you can grasp all the intricacies of baseball rules you'll have no problem picking up hockey if you get into it. :-D It's a pretty simple game in comparison.

How I'd fix the game:

1. They need to get a new company in to start marketing hockey in a way that will attract new fans.

2. They need to stop being so hard on fight infractions and allow the players to police the game the way it used to be played. Barbaric or not fighting is an element of hockey that was a big draw for fans. The decrease in fighting and goon patrols has hurt the game and its charm.

3. Scrap the damn Canadien rinks and move to the Olympic size. Like football, the athletes are becoming bigger and bigger. The rinks are too small and it has slowed the game down immensely. The defensive trap isn't helping matters either. Speed was another of hockey's charms and it's gone now. This would be a hard one to pull off monetarily but it would have a great effect IMO.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Wed May 19, 2004 2:30 pm

One of the biggest problems in the US is the announcers - they are terrible compared to those on Canadian TV
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ensanimal » Wed May 19, 2004 2:31 pm

it is sad, that most americans do not appreciate hockey the way they should. it is the fastest, must entertaining sport to watch. i agree that they need to do something because the game has slowed down, thus becoming duller, because of the emphasis on defense.

to those who like hockey though that is welcome. to market it though, they need to be able to put something more exciting on the ice.

anyone who has seen this years playoffs must admit that it is great hockey that is being played.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby wkelly91 » Wed May 19, 2004 2:49 pm

I'm no hockey fan I will admit. And I don't know much about it, I admit. So maybe the way I see it is how many others see it.

The problem as I see it is there isn't enough scoring. Soccer has the same problem.

Americans have a short attention span (I'm one) and need lots of scoring.

Look whats popular:

Basketball-high scoring
Football-Rules have been changed over the years to make it higher scoring (ex: hash marks moved in)
Baseball- Lowers the mound, juices the balls...higher scoring.

The most exciting play in hockey and soccer is the goal and it happens to seldom. (I hate games that end in ties, it's like sex without the climax :-P )
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ensanimal » Wed May 19, 2004 2:55 pm

there's a lot more excitiment than just goals in hockey.

great saves that come from great plays

big hits

fights

a lot of times goals are messy and uneventful, watching teams go back and forth with chance after chance is more exciting.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 19, 2004 3:05 pm

stomperrob wrote:One of the biggest problems in the US is the announcers - they are terrible compared to those on Canadian TV

I haven't seen many Canadien broadcasts, every once in awhile a game will get blacked out and I'll watch the Toronto or Montreal broadcast to see my Islanders play. If you're referring to the ESPN announcing I agree that's it's awful although I don't know if it's driving fans away. I like the NY announcers but perhaps it's just a matter of not knowing what I'm missing. :)

ensanimal wrote:it is sad, that most americans do not appreciate hockey the way they should. it is the fastest, must entertaining sport to watch. i agree that they need to do something because the game has slowed down, thus becoming duller, because of the emphasis on defense.

to those who like hockey though that is welcome. to market it though, they need to be able to put something more exciting on the ice.

anyone who has seen this years playoffs must admit that it is great hockey that is being played.

The slow pace or the emphasis on defense is welcome? I would like an emphasis on defense without slowing the game. If I want a slow pace I will watch Baseball :) but I want my hockey fast and furious. The lack of scoring doesn't bother me although I am not sure how it affects other American fans. I enjoy watching a goalie "in the zone" as much as I appreciate a great pitcher's dual. But when you have an entire period killed due to the trap that is just painfully boring IMHO.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Wed May 19, 2004 3:06 pm

I love hockey, and wish it was more popular, but I don't want to "Americanize" it to make it appeal to you guys. If you don't like it for what it is, well that's a shame. It will always be the most popular sport where I lve so there's no concerns for me - all the games (if there are any) will be broadcast, fan support will not dwindle, and the Leafs will always make it to the second round of the playoffs. And no further. It's just the way it is.

The fact that teams have been lost in cities like Winnipeg amd added in places like Atlanta is a shame. But that's the way the world works. It doesn't matter financially if you have 80% of the population is a small place loving the game, or 5% of the population in a huge place loving the game. People in Manitoba's favourite hockey team is still the Jets. It's sad, but true. It's like they're in denial. Meanwhile, people in Atlanta would rather watch a tractor pull than see 12 guys hitting around a little piece of rubber on a patch of ice. If I were Bill Gates I'd buy all the American teams and move them to Canadian cities, while paying for everything myself.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk