Where will Beltran go? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where will Beltran go?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pilambp » Wed May 19, 2004 10:13 am

What about the Dodgers? With their new ownership and Paul DePodesta as the GM, they might make him an offer to anchor down that offense. They could move Bradley to one of the corners, and have a stellar outfiield of Bradley-Beltran-Green. They have plenty of talent in their farm system as well.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed May 19, 2004 10:27 am

The Dodger's, A's or Mets are my guess. Not that the Yanks don't want him but what prospect could they give up for him? Who knows. The Royals haven't done a great job of getting a return on trading soon to be free agents (Damon and Dye).
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed May 19, 2004 10:31 am

rolenfan wrote:I realize the East Coast teams have the upper hand in the effort to land him, but the sleeper team might just be across the state to my hometown Redbirds. The word here is that this is Edmond's last year. He is in an option year (his option) and in an interview last week he stated that he may choose to walk away. 10 or 12 combined shoulder/knee surgeries are taking their toll. Their will be some money to work with if Edmond's doesn't come back.

The Cardinals front office doesn't have loose lips - you rarely hear about signings before they happen - but don't think it's not being considered.

We would LOVE to see him with the birds-on-the-bat on his chest.

Probably won't happen, but that would be the ultimate for a Card's fan. :-) Two of the greatest young hitters in the game? :-°
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 19, 2004 11:32 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Probably won't happen, but that would be the ultimate for a Card's fan. :-) Two of the greatest young hitters in the game? :-°

Mike Matheny really isn't that young. :-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby frog99 » Wed May 19, 2004 11:42 am

Notice how everybody think Beltran will surely end up on their team...

....So far the rumors would indicate KC has had discusions with the Red Sox. Ealier in the season KC talked to LA Dodgers about Edwin Jackson for Beltran and were turned down. The Mets were rumored to have an interest but not willing to give up Jose Reyes, who was the only person KC really liked. Those are the major rumors, that have been given credit.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Wed May 19, 2004 11:56 am

I really think the Mets are more of an unlikely candidate than the papers like to make them out to be. I do think the Mets will be a contender for Belran's services in the off-season. They have the revenue of the Sox and Yankees without any of the payroll decisions that those two teams will be faced with. Despite the fact that the Yankees have to make the World Series this year in order to make money, my gut feeling is that he will end up in pinstripes next season.

The Mets are a team that scoffed at the idea of trading either Reyes or Kazmir for Soriano, a proven 40/40 player. Granted, there were some considerations on Soriano's attitude that played into the decision and Beltran brings none of that baggage. But I don't see the Mets trading the prospects for Beltran without a renegotiated contract. Most of us will agree this is unlikely which leads me to believe he will land somewhere else.

The Mets are in a winnable division. The Marlins just aren't that dominant and the Phillies are never as good as they look on paper. Still it would be a longshot for the Mets and sacrificing the future for a slim chance at the playoffs is a move the old Mets regime would have made but I don't think Duquette will make that mistake.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ensanimal » Wed May 19, 2004 12:09 pm

holding the #1 waiver spot in my nl only league, i'm hoping it's anywhere in the nl. ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 120)

Postby Zito is God » Wed May 19, 2004 12:11 pm

He will be playing for the Yanks. Its just gonna happen and makes sense too. Yanks center fielders are both brittle and old and they need the fresh blood.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Zito is God » Wed May 19, 2004 12:11 pm

He will be playing for the Yanks. Its just gonna happen and makes sense too. Yanks center fielders are both brittle and old and they need the fresh blood.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 19, 2004 12:16 pm

Zito is God wrote:He will be playing for the Yanks. Its just gonna happen and makes sense too. Yanks center fielders are both brittle and old and they need the fresh blood.

As much as I would love to see that happen, I can't see George paying around $30 million for CF. That includes @$14 million for Bernie and Lofton.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers