Where will Beltran go? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where will Beltran go?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where will Beltran go?

Postby DarkShadow » Wed May 19, 2004 3:18 am

I know it's still early, but where do you think Beltran will end up this year?
Help with my team please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62259
DarkShadow
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby godallahstar » Wed May 19, 2004 4:03 am

one of the new yorks,
baltimore or one of the california teams........
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Wed May 19, 2004 4:32 am

Boston is clearly in the mix as well, and might attempt to swing a deal for him quickly. The Red Sox will have money to spend as there are several players currently in their walk years that it's fairly clear they will not spend big dollars on in an effort to resign.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby godallahstar » Wed May 19, 2004 5:06 am

yeah, i just don't know if the yankees would stand for that
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby matmat » Wed May 19, 2004 7:14 am

let me preface by saying that I am not a Royals' fan.
in fact, at gunpoint I'd probably admit to being a . . . . . . . (think palpetine)

I would really, really, really, really really *takes deep breath* really, really, really, really really like it if Beltran stayed in KC.

It is a crying shame that certain clubs (montreal, KC, detroit... I am sure there are others) serve essentially as farm teams for big market franchises. Selling off players like beltran, vazquez, vlad, pedro, damon, dye saves money short-term but causes the fan base to be less supportive... I mean, why would anyone want to root for a team that changes players like most people change undergarments? what's the point? there is no character to the team. it's as if a new team moved into the town each year.

please don't throw at me the small market -- large market arguments, and the revenue sharing ideas, salary caps etc. etc. etc. I understand all that. nonetheless I find it troubling that a lot of owners seem to be interested in extracting every red cent from their franchises and not reinvesting in them. There is a trade-off between viewing a team as a money-making proposition and as valuable entertainment/source of pride for a community. (think Modell and Cleveland). I think (and I very well may be wrong) that a lot of the owners are miserable at running major league clubs... digging up a few oil wells or selling a startup is not the same as setting up media contracts, marketing the team nationwide... if you give show the people living near the stadium that it is "their team" they are more likely to buy caps, jerseys, TICKETS (refreshments) etc. etc.

argh... 'nuff of a rant.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rolenfan » Wed May 19, 2004 9:05 am

I realize the East Coast teams have the upper hand in the effort to land him, but the sleeper team might just be across the state to my hometown Redbirds. The word here is that this is Edmond's last year. He is in an option year (his option) and in an interview last week he stated that he may choose to walk away. 10 or 12 combined shoulder/knee surgeries are taking their toll. Their will be some money to work with if Edmond's doesn't come back.

The Cardinals front office doesn't have loose lips - you rarely hear about signings before they happen - but don't think it's not being considered.

We would LOVE to see him with the birds-on-the-bat on his chest.
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rolenfan » Wed May 19, 2004 9:12 am

matmat wrote:I would really, really, really, really really *takes deep breath* really, really, really, really really like it if Beltran stayed in KC.

I mean, why would anyone want to root for a team that changes players like most people change undergarments? what's the point? there is no character to the team. it's as if a new team moved into the town each year.

I agree with you matmat - KC is the US version of the Expos. Great farm team. What a shame.

I have two brothers that live in KC, for over 15 years now. They are HUGE baseball fans, and go to a few Royals games every year. But, they are still Cardinals fans mainly. There are nearly as many Cards fans in KC as there are Royals fans. Part of the reason is that a large part of the KC population came from St. Louis, but another big part of it is that they just can't get behind the Royals due to the poor choices made by the ownership.

When Sweeny decided to take less $$$ and stay in KC, it looked like a good sign to the community. They thought maybe ownership would build on that. Now it doesn't appear to be that way and the fans are already disappointed.

I don't have an answer, but I share your disappointment. It would be good for baseball and good for KC if they could keep Beltran.
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bonehead » Wed May 19, 2004 9:39 am

If KC falls out of the playoff race, Beltran will probably end the season with the team that has the best package of minor league talent to trade to the Royals. As mentioned above, the small market teams have to compete with young, pre-millionaire players and I would imagine Beltran could bring a couple of seriously talented minor leaguers. But, he's still a FA at year end, let the bidding begin.
Bonehead
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bjm97 » Wed May 19, 2004 9:52 am

Very good point matmat- I agree completely. The solace I have watching KC is knowing that they have a solid group on young talent and hoping they will be able to turn it around. While I live in a big market and root for a big market team having a bigger checking account hasn't helped us much in recent years. It starts at the top and you can only reinvest so much money into has beens/over the hill players before the team falls apart. It amazes me what some of these small market teams are able to accomplish with shrewd signings of players looking for a chance instead of teams like mine throwing millions at 35 year old has beens. I am a firm believer in a cap and revenue sharing. It would allow the smaller teams to spend more and force teams like mine to allocate there resources more wisely.
bjm97
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jpbusta » Wed May 19, 2004 9:57 am

Probably the Mets. The Mets are shopping for another bat or a pitcher. They're interested in Kris Benson, Freddy Garcia, Carlos Beltran, and Alfonso Soriano. KC and Seattle are sinking which implies that trades involving their players will most likely happen if Mets decide to give up a few young prospects.
Last edited by jpbusta on Wed May 19, 2004 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers