Schmidt one-hits Cubs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Schmidt one-hits Cubs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Schmidt one-hits Cubs

Postby WebHamster » Wed May 19, 2004 2:00 am

Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Jason Schmidt tossed a one-hit shutout, striking out a career-high tying 13, to lead the San Francisco Giants to a 1-0 win over the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field.

Schmidt (4-2) outdueled Matt Clement, as the Giants ended a four-game losing streak. Schmidt, who only yielded an infield hit in the fifth and walked one, earned his fourth straight win. He also finished 2-for-3 at the plate.

"I'll take the shutout and the win any day. I can't argue with that," Schmidt said. "No-hitters, there's a lot of luck involved. If I never get one, so be it. I'm not going to lose sleep over that."

Clement (5-3) was the tough-luck loser, yielding just one run on five hits in eight innings of work. He struck out six and walked two, dropping his second straight start after winning five consecutive starts.

Pedro Feliz drove in the only run of the game for the Giants, who won for just the fourth time in 12 games.

Michael Barrett had the lone hit for Chicago, which had a four-game winning streak halted and will most likely be without All-Star slugger Sammy Sosa for at least the next two weeks.

Prior to the game, Cubs general manager Jim Hendry announced Sosa will likely be placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday with a lower back sprain suffered when he sneezed on Sunday.

Todd Hollandsworth started in Sosa's place, going 0-for-4 with three strikeouts.

San Francisco scored the only run it would need in the fourth. Barry Bonds began the inning with a walk and moved to second an out later when A.J. Pierzynski grounded out to second. Feliz followed with a base hit to center to plate Bonds.

Feliz ended 2-for-3.

Schmidt had his perfect game bid end with two outs in the fourth when he walked Moises Alou. He then had his no-hitter end when Barrett legged out an infield hit to third. The grounder was hit behind the bag and Barrett clearly beat out the throw by Edgardo Alfonzo.

"It was disappointing, but isn't that the way it always is with disappointment," Schmidt said. "There's always that one pitch or one play that everybody says, 'What if?'"

He retired the final 12 batters he faced, striking out six of those. He struck out the side only once in the contest, as he got Corey Patterson swinging, Barrett looking and Tom Goodwin swinging in the eighth.

"He was as good as I've seen him," said Cubs manager Dusty Baker, who was Schmidt's skipper two years ago in San Francisco. "When he's on he's as tough as anyone in either league."

In total, Schmidt threw 144 pitches, with 92 going for strikes. He became the first San Francisco hurler to toss a one-hitter since Scott Garrelts did it on July 29, 1990.

"He shut me out last year," Clement said. "He just threw an outstanding game. I knew I had no chance of hitting him."
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 400)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates