Big Unit and Tom Glavine trade; need some advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Unit and Tom Glavine trade; need some advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big Unit and Tom Glavine trade; need some advice

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:58 pm

Hello,

Who do you think I should try and get if I want to trade Big Unit? What if I have a package deal for dealing Big Unit and Glavine?

I'm in a 4x4 10 team league and I'm second in my league and here is my breaking in scoring:

Batting: 10th (BA), 1st (HR), 2nd (RBI), 5th (SB)

Pitching: 7th (ERA), 2nd (K's), 5th (Saves), 1st (Wins)

Batting: Pitching:

Ivan Rodriguez, C Odalis Perez
Eli Marrero, C Randy Johnson
Jeff Bagwell, 1B Kelvim Escobar
Luis Rivas, 2B Tom Glavine
Eric Chavez, 3B Mark Prior
A-Rod, SS Bob Wickman
Tim Salmon, OF Roy Halladay
Austin Kearns, OF Jorge Julio
Alex Sanchez, OF Vincente Padilla
Garret Anderson, OF
Vladdy Gurrero, OF
Eric Heinske, U
David Eckstien, U

I can provide you with other teams in my league roster if it help. I feel that Johnson may go downhill from hear and Glavine is definitely at the top of the charts. What should I do and who should I try and get?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby uanap » Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:18 am

Ok, if I were you and and in your position I would do NOTHING. Youre in second place you dont need to gamble now. You need to sit tight and let your legit team do its thing. The categories you need help are average, stolen bases, era and saves. Thats it. I'm confident your average will turn around. At the most, maybe just a little tinkering here and there could help.

Also, dont trade Randy and Glavine. Theres no reason. In fact, you need to lower your era and trading away players like that wont help you lower it. What are the odds you'll get comparable pitchers with as low an era and as many wins as Randy and Tom?? Not very likely I say. Hold on to your horses.

You might want to try and get another midlevel closer, but thats about it. I would stay the course you are on. Remember, youre in second place. Tinker and tweak your lineup if you have to, but dont do a major overhaul when youre so close to winning.
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Closer Help

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:16 am

If you think I need to get a closer, who do you think I should get and who should I offer for them? Let me know.

Postby timkell » Sun Jun 16, 2002 3:13 pm

Agreed. You would be crazy to drop Johnson and Glavine. I could see maybe trading Glavine, but make sure you get another stud pitcher back. There is no evidence that Unit will decline, so I don't know why you would think that. He's been the one of the top two pitchers in baseball for the last 5 years, and he doesn't get hurt like the other guy over in Boston. He's number one on everyone's pitching list.

No way should you trade them both. I would only trade Glavine if you could get a very good pitcher, plus a high batting average player back.

As for closers, here is the list of closers worth owning, IMO (No particular order):
Kazuhiro Sasaki
Mariano Rivera
Trevor Hoffman
Troy Percival
Jason Isringhausen
Eric Gagne
John Smoltz
Robb Nen
Ugueth Urbina
Byung-Hyun Kim
Armando Benitez
Eddie Guardado
Billy Wagner
Vladimir Nunez
Bob Wickman
Billy Koch
Jose Mesa

Julio is not on this list. Any of these guys free agents? Is Foulke a free agent? I'm sure he'll be promoted again and have a great second half. Read the White Sox news wires closely and grab him when he's moved back up to closer. Get rid of Julio, as the Birds stink.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby uanap » Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:43 pm

Hey Timkell, great advice. I agree with you. If he does trade Glavine he needs a stud back in return.

The idea about Foulke is good too. If he is out there I would grab him. In not, maybe Osuna is. He should get some save opportunites till Foulke gets back in his role. It maybe an opportunity to get some cheap saves. Good luck.
uanap
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:47 am

Foulke is not available. Wondering if trading Glavine for a closer would be worth it? I should probably just sit tight and wait for Flash Gordon to come off the DL. Wickman and Julio just got another save. Maybe they will be alright.

Postby AirTimid » Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:16 am

From all the stuff i've been reading, Alfonseca will remain the Cubs closer when Flash gets back. Flash would either become the setup man or become trade bait.
AirTimid
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:04 pm

If you think I need to trade for a top notch closer, what do you think would be a fair deal involving Glavine?

Return to Baseball Leftovers