Why Does Matt Morris Appear So Hittable? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Does Matt Morris Appear So Hittable?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed May 19, 2004 10:30 am

He was overused early last year and his arm got tired. Seems like he is taking a different approach this year and not trying to strike everybody out.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 19, 2004 11:12 am

He should have more wins...hes a great pitcher...his team is crappy and loses the games for him just like arizona does for Brandon Webb.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby jpbusta » Wed May 19, 2004 11:31 am

acsguitar wrote:He should have more wins...hes a great pitcher...his team is crappy and loses the games for him just like arizona does for Brandon Webb.

And how the Astros does for Oswalt. :-°
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rolenfan » Wed May 19, 2004 11:32 am

acsguitar wrote:He should have more wins...hes a great pitcher...his team is crappy and loses the games for him just like arizona does for Brandon Webb.

There is some truth to the part about not getting the support. Last night's errors are an example. It wasn't Morris or the fielders that had the final say in the game though. Izzy has blown a few saves this year and toward the end of last year. Run support was a problem at times last year. I would dispute the "crappy" part. Plenty of bats and gold-glovers under the arch.

The defense or lack of runs may put Morris in a jam at times, but it rarely loses a game for him. He doesn't seem to be able to pitch his way out of jams as often as he used to. Lower velocity, location not as pinpoint as in the past, too many innings, blown saves, errors, lack of timely hitting are all working against him.

The hitting has improved, and I think Tony will watch the pitch count closer. Where Matt used to go 7 to 8 innings regularly, he will likely drop to 6 or 7. The defense as as good as it will get, it's not much of a factor.

I'm worried about Izzy. If Morris and Williams can't hold a lead and Tony allows them to give up 2 or 3 runs before he pulls them, our closer had better perform or we're in trouble.
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

izzy's the question

Postby trailblazur » Wed May 19, 2004 12:26 pm

Im in st. louis as well and it's true that matty's velocity is way down. however, he's a smart pitcher in a contract year, I really believe he is trying to save some in the tank for the entire season. He seems to be getting stronger each start. Im more worried about Izzy however. He's lost velocity and his stuff looks like crap. Hes always had injury problems and I bet thats caught up with him. Hang onto Morris.

B
trailblazur
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheAbreu » Wed May 19, 2004 6:12 pm

Thanks for your responses.

I have no intention to dump Morris, but I'm not as comfortable with him as I once would have been.
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers