Why Does Matt Morris Appear So Hittable? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why Does Matt Morris Appear So Hittable?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why Does Matt Morris Appear So Hittable?

Postby TheAbreu » Tue May 18, 2004 8:05 pm

I know he's given up just 1 run in 3 innings today, but I'm watching the game and wondering where his stuff has gone. This guy used to look dominant. Now it looks like he has a slightly above average fastball and a good curve. I'm not seeing a guy that looks dominant. I saw the same thing last week in him against Atlanta, where he looked very hittable and got by.

I'm worried about this coming inning with him. I just don't see how he can put up a good line tonight with the stuff he's showing. Then agian, this is the Mets.

My question for any Cards fans or guys that watch or know about Morris: where's his stuff gone?
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheAbreu » Tue May 18, 2004 8:06 pm

No Ks by the way thru 3
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Tue May 18, 2004 8:17 pm

Not a bad inning just now...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Tue May 18, 2004 8:21 pm

He's tried to let guys hit his pitches instead of trying to K everybody. It's working thus far. His stuff is so good that guys can't do that much to his pitches anyway. Since it's easier to make contact, many are hitting homers...but overall, his WHIP numbers are super. He'll have a great year. I'm even questioning whether I should've dealt him and Durham for Zito, because I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Morris outpitched Barry Zito this year.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheAbreu » Tue May 18, 2004 8:30 pm

You might be right. It's just that I'm used to seeing Ks and a dominant look out of Morris. He now appears like a guy that can give up a hit to a pitcher on a 0-2 count cuz his stuff doesn't look able to get Ks or dominate.
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheAbreu » Tue May 18, 2004 8:47 pm

There's another HR off Morris. Now it's 4-3
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AdvRider » Tue May 18, 2004 10:50 pm

Same question re Russ Ortiz ... oh wait ... Russ IS hittable!
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby rolenfan » Wed May 19, 2004 8:52 am

Morris has changed his style somewhat. He never really was a K pitcher, not overpowering. His recent arm problems have cost him a MPH or two on his fastball. His curve is still great. So he's now throwing his curve with 2K's instead of the heat. If he keeps it down, it works, either a K or a weak ground ball to Renteria or Rolen - any pitcher will take those odds.

The problem is, he doesn't always keep it down. When it is up, it goes a long way. Edmonds can't catch everything (but he comes pretty damn close).

Matt will be OK, don't give up on him. Some fielding snafu's hurt him last night. Don't count on him for a lot of K's or CG's, but his ERA will be good and he will get his wins.

BTW - it wan't supposed ot be his start - it was Suppan's turn. Matt may not have been mentally prepared. He's a guy who likes a steady routine.
"You can observe a lot by watching" Yogi
rolenfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed May 19, 2004 9:29 am

some say his fastball is as much as 5mph slower than normal. he was working on a changeup during the spring but i dont really know how well that is going. so when you are basically a two pitch pitcher (fastball and curve) and one of them isnt working as well as it usually does you can find yourself getting into trouble from time to time.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby pilambp » Wed May 19, 2004 10:24 am

Remember, he's a FA at the end of this year so a lot of teams have their eyes on him. It's a weak market for pitchers this offseason, so a good performance from Morris might mean big money.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers